Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gedi Nixan (IP Logged)
Date: 04/09/2005 06:26AM

Want to buy a Sonic23 with trailer. (location NS)
Please send me pictures and price.

Gedi

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gedi Nixan (IP Logged)
Date: 04/09/2005 06:26AM

Want to buy a Sonic23 with trailer. (location NS)
Please send me pictures and price.

Gedi

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Andrew (IP Logged)
Date: 04/11/2005 07:55AM

My boat is for sale. I am sure youve seen the pics.

Date: 05/16/2005 09:42AM

Does anybody have their Sonics in yet?
Andrew

Re: (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Tom (IP Logged)
Date: 05/16/2005 05:00PM

Question...getting ready to launch my "83 SONIC. I have been using InterLux 17M as an antifouling. This year ground down the keel and applied InterLux Tar2 epoxy primer as a base for the VC17 on the keel. Concerned about where the keel enters through the fiberglas hull. Right now there is a rubberized coating (black in colour) over what appars to be caulk. Anyone out there have any experience with this or suggestions? What's there now is watertight and appears to work but is starting to show signs of deterioration.

Re: (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Date: 05/17/2005 06:57AM

I simply tried to remove any loose pieces and put some marine adhesive/chaulking. I think marine silicon would be a temporary solution if you have already antifouled the whole bottom.

I just use xxx Bottomkote. Usually a litre does the trick.

The perks of having a smaller sized boat eh?

Andrew

Corrosion (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Don Henderson (IP Logged)
Date: 05/30/2005 10:38PM

I have just purchased an 81 Sonic 23. One side of the keel and the shaft of the outboard motor are badly corroded. The explanation seems to be that the 110 circuit is leaking? and has set up an electrical field in the water around the boat and electrolyisis has been eating the metal away. Has anyone had experience with this? I may have some Mylar sails for sale. A # 1 - # 2 - and # 3.
Anyone interested?

Re: Corrosion (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Tim Harris (IP Logged)
Date: 06/02/2005 09:09PM

If that is Sonic #68 it was mine from 1982 to 2000.
It spent 2 winters in Florida and 1 winter in the Bahamas...
That will explain the corrosion...
If the motor is still the same 1981 Honda 7.5 it really owes nobody anything.

Comments on the boat...

Best sailing boat ever built...
After sailing 1000 miles beam reaching in the oceans around Bahamas,
The rudder pintals broke off, half the way accross the Gulf Stream...
My wife and I were able to sail the boat the remaining 25 miles trimming the
mainsail to maintain direction while towing a 10 foot Zodiac...
The auto helm and Loran had packed up earlier in the week.

We hit the entrance to Miami dead on, leaving Bimini 12 hours earlier...

Well designed boat...

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Joe Giblin (IP Logged)
Date: 06/02/2005 10:12PM

I own hull number 69. It is an '81 and is good condition. I have the original outboard purchased for the boat, a Johnson 4.5, and it has very little electrolisis. I does have good zincs attached and I understand this is what helps defend both the boat and the motor.
whe I purchased my boat, it had no electronics at all, and had been sailied with no battery for many years. I added the battery and a VHF radio and left it at that until this season when I installed a depth sounder. I am having a problem with that, as it has a through hull transducer, and it says the hull must be 100% fibergalss, no wood core. I was under the impression that the Sonice 23 did not have a wood core, yet I have trouble finding a place for the transducer to work.

Does anyone know if the hull has a wood core or is reinforced any where?

Date: 06/03/2005 07:38AM

My boat is equipped with a depth sounder and transducer. It is located on the starbird side of the keel down in the lower storage hatch below the icebox to the right. It has no problem there. As far as wood core, I put a marine head in the bow and when we drilled the hull, it was solid fiberglass, and quite thick at that.

So that should be a good place to mount it.

Good luck

Depth sounder (Electronic/computer on board)
Date: 06/03/2005 04:15PM

You did not make it clear if you are trying to sound through the hull rather than drilling a hole through the hull.
The Instruments I bought said you could do that but I did not have any luck.
From what I understood it had to be installed in a pot filled with liquid, so it looked like it was all one piece. The sounder then did not see this as a change in density and give a false echo. I tried various locating to no avail.
I then mounted them through hull just infront on the head in the forward hatch.
This worked well except when the rail was under water on the port tack.
It then could not find the bottom.
The hull in this location was thick and solid fiberglass.

Re: Depth sounder (Electronic/computer on board)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Joe Giblin (IP Logged)
Date: 06/03/2005 05:13PM

Sound through the hull is what I was trying and the location you tried in the forward cabin under is where I was trying. This through hull and in hull confused me for a while as well. It seems they sell them as "through hull" which means sound through the hull and "in hull" which means you drill. I thought I was buying a drill installation when I bought it on sale in the winter. It wwas a close out item so by the time I went ot install it, I found it was the wrong type.

I had it working for about an hour, and then the adhesive broke free. I am trying a new adhesive and will check it tonight or in the morning.

I am mounting very close to the centerline of the boat, and so it should stay in the water most of the time, but if you are heeling over that much, you should know the water you're in and not be to worried about running aground. I am mostly concerned with working into coves and anchorages and even my home harbor which is an S-curve channel and not very deep at spring tides.

As andrew stated, it is good to know it has no wood core, if it doesn't work in this location I would next suspect the 20 plus years of hard finish anti-fouling paint. Al that copper could be the problem.

Re: Depth sounder (Electronic/computer on board) (Electronic/computer on board)
Date: 06/03/2005 09:09PM

We also had a fish finder on the boat...
The sensor was mounted on a bracket that was attached to a rubber suction cup...
When required it was stuck to the transom with the sensor just below the water line.
I would think any sensor would be water tight...

Date: 06/21/2005 07:56AM

The annual launching is tonight: Tuesday June 21: The First Day of summer. She is looking better then ever. I even painted the hatch covers which fade over the years. I used Krylon Black Plastic paint and it turned out great.
Three coats of wax, antifouling and cleaning and that's it.

I hope she floats !!

Does anyone know who owns the Sonic 23 in Sheet Harbour Nova Scotia?

Andrew

Date: 06/22/2005 07:35AM

If any of you Sonic owners care, the launching was great. I launched it with a GMC Yukon, a trailer I built with a 12ft extendable tongue and a 15ft tow strap. We backed the boat and trailer as far into the water as we could. Once in the water we hooked up the strap and let her go. She went in really slick. We then fired up the truck and towed it out and hooked up the trailer.

We then stepped the mast with 4 of us. Simply by using the jib halyard off the bow, and hoisted it forward while one guy put the bolt through the mast and step. Then pulled it up stariaght and attached all the halyards.

Very smooth and no hitches. We still had lots of daylight to drink a few beer and cruise around the Cove to get the motor working well.

If anyone is ever in the Hubbards, Nova Scotia area, its the only Sonic painted with a red boot top and stripe.

Andrew

Re: Max Screw length for HEAD and other ( )
Date: 07/15/2005 09:02AM

Good morning,

I have two questions for all of you Sonic Gurus.

I installed my head last year and it works great but want to put in slightly longer screws up by the V berth. Can anyone please tell me the max length screw I can use for my head so i dont go too deep? There is a Teak-and-holly sole up in the v berth which is about 1/4" thick.

As well what is the maximum speed you have ever got out of the Sonic?

Whats the max hull Speed?

I was out in St Margarets Bay last night and we spiked at 8.5 KNOTS averaging about 6.5-7 range. It was a great sail!!!!!

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Max Screw length for HEAD and other ( ) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 08/09/2005 08:24AM

A marine head should be thru-bolted. No screw will last long in that application. Countersink the bolts on the outside so you can glass over the heads (autobody filler works). I wouldn't recommend a marine head if you ever want to use the V berth for sleeping - a porta-pottie can be moved to the cockpit at night! For a porta-pottie, you can thru-bolt a couple of eye straps to the storage lockers either side of the head for hold downs if you need them.

Hull speed for a displacement (ballasted) boat is roughly 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length - 6 knots for the Sonic 23. At this speed, additional power simply creates a bigger bow wave - because of the weight of the ballast keel, the boat can't generate enough power to climb over the bow wave and start planing. There is one exception, if you are running before a following sea you can "catch a wave" and surf for a short distance. If you are moving with the current, yor speed over the ground (as measured by GPS) can be quite a bit higher than your speed through the water. If you're measuring 8.5 knots through the water on a Sonic 23 you need to get your knotmeter recalibrated.

Re: Corrosion (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 08/09/2005 08:47AM

Dissimilar metals in salt (or polluted fresh) water can create their own electrical current - think steel keel, copper anti-fouling and aluminum outboard. Strip your keel, use an epoxy fairing compound to smooth it and apply an epoxy barrier coat before reapplying anti-fouling. The sacrificial zinc anode on your engine should protect it from corrosion but only if you replace it before it wears out. Keep your engine out of the water unless you are using it and replace the zinc every couple of years whether it needs it or not.

sonic 23 speed (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gérald Tou Dou (IP Logged)
Date: 08/11/2005 06:38PM

Andrew we have our Sonic 23 for 7 season now and you have reason
we made very much time 6.5-7 knots with the Sonic vérified by the GPS
more than that this years we made 7knots againt the current of 1.5 knots
the Sonic saiboat ...a very good sailboat that gives us full plaisure

as you problably find out I am a french men from Québec province
and we sail betwind Montreal and Québec on the fabulous St.Laurent

Re: sonic 23 speed (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy ND (IP Logged)
Date: 09/13/2006 07:16PM

Still looking for him???

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 497
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.