Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Medsyspro (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:02AM

Date: 13 Mar 2001
Time: 20:01:25
Remote Name: 172.134.209.110

Question

Greetings. Searching for information on Sonic Sailboats. Sonic 23 or any other info about the manufacturer, etc. Can't find it
anywhere, but when searching the net, the few I've found are being bought and sold in Canadian brokerages and boat sites.
There's one here in Miami, Florida but none of the natives know anything about it. Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2012 08:33AM by Yves JULIEN.

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy JD (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:04AM

Date: 17 Apr 2001
Time: 16:47:58
Remote Name: 208.241.25.130

Sonic 23 is a canadian sailboat. It is no longer in
production. Used to be built by Bermarine in Montreal. Like several boat manufacturers in Canada this company went belly up
in the mid 80's as the market for sailboats plummeted. I own personally such a boat, don't exactly what you want to know but
am in a position to give you a lot of info over e-mail. Could also mail you the selling brochure, should you supply me with your
adress.

Posted by: F : Matelot-chef (matc) | E: Master Seaman (MS) Michel C36 (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:06AM

Date: 02 May 2001
Time: 22:02:00
Remote Name: 64.229.247.187

j'envisage l'achat d'un Sonic 23. Il est en tres bonne état sauf un léger affaissement du plancher de cockpit. J'ai remarqué des
fissures sur le gelcoat et il semble y avoir eue infiltration d'eau et possiblement altération du coeur (balsa,bois ou polyuréthane?).
Il y a également une fissure, visible de l'intérieure de la cabine, sous la premiere marche. Le propriétaire actuel utilise une grande
voile neuve avec plus de surface que l'originale, est-ce ces fissures peuvent avoir pour cause une trop grande traction sur
l'attache de l'écoute situé sur le plancher du cockpit? Avez-vous renconté ce problème sur votre bateau ? Merci de me
répondre rapidement. Michel Dumont

Posted by: F : Matelot-chef (matc) | E: Master Seaman (MS) Michel C36 (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:07AM

Date: 03 May 2001
Time: 18:21:53
Remote Name: 64.231.204.62

Question

Hello, I am in the process of buying a Sonic 23 Sailboat. The boat I am actually looking at has a cracked cockpit floor and
there seems to be some delamination as well. This problem might be related to a larger mainsail used by a previous owner,
because there is also a crack under the entrance of the cabin. Have you notice any soft floors on your boat? Any delamination?
Thank you very much. Michel Dumont

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Yvon (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:11AM

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Time: 13:15:43
Remote Name: 64.231.106.2

Question

Looking at a 27' Sloop. Any comments would greatly be appreciated as this will be my first boat. Cheers.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy JC (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 08:13AM

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Time: 19:57:06
Remote Name: 204.50.51.58

Question

What is a resonable price to purchase a Sonic 23. Could you please reply to Jean-Claude at: jc@avrproductions.ca

Thaniking you in adavance JC

Date: 12/06/2001 09:04PM

Hello, I presently own a Sonic 23. It's was my first boat and I found it very easy to sail, excellent learning boat. Best livability onboard for a boat that size (with the pop-top). And quite fast with that, mine has a new main and I draw circles around T22's...I paid 11 250 $ Can for it including 10 hp outboard four strokes and wheel craddle. It is a very good boat.
Hope this helps.
Michel Dumont

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy TERRY YOUNGS (IP Logged)
Date: 01/31/2002 01:46PM

l purchased a sonic 23 last summer paid 10,000 can. for it.This is my first sail boat
an find it to be easy to sail and handle.The boat has been in many races and won the youngstown reggatta 98 .Although l have no idea what to do with all the sails that came with the boat 7in total. If anyone with information on this boat would like to here from them.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy JDB (IP Logged)
Date: 02/03/2002 02:55PM

Salut Michel, je possède également un Sonic 23, et ce que tu dis est vrai! la réputation des Tanzer 22 en prend tout un coup dans les régates alors qu'on se les fait au petit déjeuner!

Jean

Posted by: F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm)F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm) Yves Julien (IP Logged)
Date: 02/03/2002 04:02PM

Dear Friend, this forum is to be in English for our English sailor firends to participate.

Thank you,

Yves Julien

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Simon Potvin (IP Logged)
Date: 05/06/2002 01:59AM

Sourire  - smiling smiley we own a sonic 23 1981. we just have made a complete renovation of the exterior of the boat at Boulet&Lemelin. Me and my father have sailed on the Saint-Lawrence river ever since he owned the boat. All I can tell is that after I've seen much of the small boats (<25feet) across the different port. I've never seen such a boat like the sonic be so nicely finished inside (for a 23 feet). And what about the performance! We have put behind us 25+feet sailboat on light and moderate wind.
All I can say is this boat is awesome!!! where your sailing alone or with a couple of friends.

Just for the info we have a brand new main sail and a #2 genoa made by Voile Saintonge, #4genoa, spinnaker, tourmentin (sorry don't know whats the word in english) We have put 2 new self-tailing Lewmar winches for the genoa (This is just perfect when your sailing alone!!!) A brand new Raytheon autopilot coupling to an elctronic speed and wind indicator. We almost purchase a furling system but we where told that on a small boat like this it be to heavy on the nose of the boat then decreasing it's performance when reaching the wind.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy joseph d'alessio (IP Logged)
Date: 07/07/2002 12:57AM

hi my name is joseph and i desingned and manufactured sonic 2
3 in montreal canada until 1984 so if you have any questions please e mail me and i ll be happy to answer i am no longer in the boat business but designing that boat [i still have the original lines of the hull] was my greatest challenge so please feel free to ask any questions regarding my sonic 23

Posted by: F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm)F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm) Yves Julien (IP Logged)
Date: 07/07/2002 10:09AM

Hi Joseph,

I invite you to go on the French side and post the same message. I would like to see the response...

Can you write in French?

Regards,

Yves

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Terry Power (IP Logged)
Date: 07/10/2002 11:49AM

Hi there, i just purchased a Sonic 23 and am a little confused as to the method of installing the mainsail on the mast. There are two different connectors on the sail, slides that slip into the mast slot, anda number of plastic lops that I'm not sure what to do with. any photos or advice would be great. thanks.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy joseph d'alessio (IP Logged)
Date: 07/29/2002 10:59PM

In response to your " sail trouble ", the loops you mentioned are along the foot of the main sail, their purpose is to reef down the main sail in order to reduce the sail area in heavy weather.

Happy Sailing

Joseph

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Joseph D'Alessio (IP Logged)
Date: 07/29/2002 11:05PM

Hi, in response to an ill-founded article I happened to come across at www.sailquest.com/market/models/sonic.htm, I felt the need to “refound” what struck me as being unfounded and suprisingly enough, one would think such sources should be reliable. The Sonic 23 and Tanzer 22 are definitely not the same. I hope there are still sailors out there who can tell the difference. Put them both on a cradle side by side; read the lines of the hull, the transom and deck, the keel and rudder. The sail plan? Just look at who gets to the finish line first. I am proud to say I designed the Sonic 23 from scratch and it is simply the fastest most luxurious 23’ cruiser ever built and you don’t have to take my word for it, find out for yourself. It can handle all types of weather, from light wind to high sea. Its self-rightening is excellent. If you take the time to look at the shape of the keel, you’ll notice most of the weight is at the bottom, giving it superb stability…Test it yourself. Designing and building sailboats was and still is my passion.
If there are any specifics, you would like to learn more about, feel free to ask.

Happy Sailing to all of you

Joseph

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Terry Power (IP Logged)
Date: 07/30/2002 07:30AM

Thanks for your reply about the sail. I have another query as to how to tension the mast stays. How much tension should be on the stays? When heeled the port or starboard stays flap a bit, but seem quite tight when no starin is on them. Any hints or advise would be appreciated. i don't want to overtighten them by mistake. Thanks. I really am enjoying my Sonic. it's a great sailing boat.

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Leo Hoar (IP Logged)
Date: 07/30/2002 07:28PM

Hi all, I recently purchased a 1983 sonic. My compliments to the designer! The boat has a very comfortable layout, and it is extremely well-constructed. Some of the equipment was modified by the original owner, so I have a few questions. First, where is the ideal (preferably out of the way) place to install an automatic bilge? There appears to be a through-hull port on the starboard bow, but I am not sure where to lead a hose or where to install the pump. Second, is there any particular maintenance issue to look out for in the sonic?

Also, if anyone has an owner's manual or anything similar, I would very much like to obtain a copy. Thanks!

Date: 08/04/2002 11:36PM

Hi Yves, I would like to be able to participate in the french forum but I can read and speak French but I cannot write it best regards Joseph

Date: 08/05/2002 12:01AM

Hi Terry Tuning the mast on the Sonic 23, the fore stay and the back stay,tension should not exceed 550 lbs. At the same time you tune, you put a rake of 4 in. aft on the mast.Tuuning the upper and lower shroud, the 450 lbs. on the lower the upper 500 lbs.When you lock your turnbuckles make sure port and starboard screw distance is the same.Remember that when tightening do not turn the cables.When you are sailing on a beam reach check the leward shroud, they should be loose. When you tune the shroud look up the mast and sail track and make sure that it is free of a snake shape.

Best regards Joseph

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 496
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.