Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jared (IP Logged)
Date: 05/03/2010 03:22PM

Hello everyone my name is Jared I'm new to sail boating and I recently took my 1981 sonic 23 out for a sail. The deck hatch was not attached properly because I was replacing the hinges. and while under way in a strong wind my buddy as clumsy as he is bumped the hatch with his head while down below in the v-berth and off and down in the water it went never to be seen again.

My question is:

does anyone know where to go for a replacement v-berth access hatch? I've looked everywhere and came up empty handed. ??? I need help!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jared (IP Logged)
Date: 05/15/2010 06:48PM

where would you go if you needed a replacement deck hatch for a sonic 23?

JD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Date: 17 Apr 2001
> Time: 16:47:58
> Remote Name: 208.241.25.130
>
> Sonic 23 is a canadian sailboat. It is no longer
> in
> production. Used to be built by Bermarine in
> Montreal. Like several boat manufacturers in
> Canada this company went belly up
> in the mid 80's as the market for sailboats
> plummeted. I own personally such a boat, don't
> exactly what you want to know but
> am in a position to give you a lot of info over
> e-mail. Could also mail you the selling brochure,
> should you supply me with your
> adress.
>
>

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy dana (IP Logged)
Date: 03/16/2011 01:17PM

Good afternoon all, I see the sonic chapter has slowed down a bit, hopefully we can reignite it!

I have just put an offer on a 1981 sonic 23 and am VERY excited for it to hopefully come to fruition! I work at a marina on Lake Champlain and have been staring at sailboats for too long, it's time to join in on the fun. The boat was purchased in 1981 and passed down to one of my clients by his parents (original owners).They have been sailing it the past 10 years, they removed a roller furler that was installed on it, and removed a battery. It comes with the trailer, 9.9 outboard, dinghy (sea worthy but needs work), main, jib, spinnaker (i believe), bumpers, cushions, and it was bottom painted 5 years ago. They have replaced the lines as needed and I was told it is ready to sail away. The boat is currently stored at my marina and I have access to it. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and have never sailed prior, but with the benefits I get from working at a marina I cant think of a better time to jump right in. Between the 150 sailers here, my mechanics, and a huge discount on slip/storage/parts/work I think I should be able to get a good grasp this summer.

any tips, hints, reviews, things to worry about, etc. are very welcome! I'll post some pictures later in the week when I hear back for sure on the boat. Snow needs to melttttt!

Whats the process of reinstalling a battery for basic lights, vhf, etc. Has anybody gone 'green', small solar panels, etc..?

Thanks! I hope there are some other sonic'ers out there gearing up for the thaw!

Sonic Sailboat - mast compression (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gen (IP Logged)
Date: 04/28/2011 09:47AM

Hello - taking a look at a 81' Sonic 23 - not in bad shape overall, but thinking I'm detecting some evidence of mast compression.

On deck there appears to be no visible problems (no cracking, depressions,etc.) and I cannot visually detect and deflection or distortion either on deck or in the cabin. However, on the cabin roof there is a circle of fiberglass cracking about 3" in diameter right underneath the mast tabernacle above.

Tapping around this area both underneath and topsides sounds good, but that almost perfect circle of cracking is really worrisome.

Have any of you other Sonic owners experienced mast compression? If so, did you repair it yourself or hire it out? Has anyone installed a mast compression post either as a repair or preventive measure?

Thanks!

Re: Sonic sailboat rudder
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Lee Cormie (IP Logged)
Date: 05/03/2011 08:31PM

triste - sad smiley I removed my rudder from my Sonic 23 the other day and someone lifted it overnight! Its just gone and I missed my launch date. Anyone have any ideas about a replacement?
Lee

Re: Sonic sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy FM247 (IP Logged)
Date: 02/17/2012 04:06AM

Joseph~!!!!! How are you my friend~! It's been a long time since I have seen you~! To refresh your memory, I am Tony, you delivered my Sonic 23 in 1983 when I lived in New Jersey~! I still have it, but unfortunately it has been sitting on a trailer since 1993~!!! I hope this message find you in good health, remember me and receive this message~! To all the other potential Sonic buyers and owners, The Sonic 23 as Joseph says, the best in its class, with no comparison to T22 or even a J-boat~! I have sailed and raced against both and have won~! And I am not an expert sailor by no means~! Stable under all wind conditions, turns on a dime~! I can not say a single bad word about this boat and its not just because I own one~~! Well built~! Joseph~! you created a dream cruiser~! I commend and salute you~! And I am sure many wish it was still being produced~! Hope to hear from you, best wishes,
Tony

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy FM247 (IP Logged)
Date: 02/23/2012 09:05AM

vxfmx-2843639622@sale.craigslist.org Found this on Craigslist... complete Sonic 23 missing rudder for $600... I would email and make an offer... for $300 you could get the hatch and keep the rest of the boat for spare parts since your friends sound like a wild bunch, might not be such a bad idea~! LOL~! You would need to email the above address about the boat... its located in East Barre, NY I believe... Ok.. That's all for now~!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy mubiksski (IP Logged)
Date: 03/08/2012 11:40AM

Hi all,
Happily I am the new owner of the above mentioned Sonic 23. Sadly I am in desperate need of the precise specifications for the rudder and tiller. I have tried to contact Joseph and I get no response. Lee has been kind enough to send me vague measurements but I would like to build it to specs if at all possible. I would appreciate it if someone who speaks french would post for me on the french side. We will be sailing before you know it up here on Lake
Champlain and I don't want to be watching from the shore. :( Thanks and happy sailing. Also I know we have many Canadian brothers sailing on Lake Champlain. I would love to meet another Sonic owner to see how it is rigged. This is my first cruiser and all the tracks and blocks are a bit baffling.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy ScreamingSeagull (IP Logged)
Date: 03/12/2012 10:38PM

FM247 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> vxfmx-2843639622@sale.craigslist.org Found this
> on Craigslist... complete Sonic 23 missing rudder
> for $600... I would email and make an offer... for
> $300 you could get the hatch and keep the rest of
> the boat for spare parts since your friends sound
> like a wild bunch, might not be such a bad idea~!
> LOL~! You would need to email the above address
> about the boat... its located in East Barre, NY I
> believe... Ok.. That's all for now~!

FM247 Damn!! I waited to long! mubiksski has it now! Im actually talking to him on a different sight (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/other-brands/84096-sonic-23-a.html) It's was a good idea except I wouldnt have a suitable place to keep the part boat. And what's up with everyone missing rudders?! I'm about to put a lock and chain on mine!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy ScreamingSeagull (IP Logged)
Date: 03/12/2012 10:41PM

I'm the (Jared) above who lost their forward hatch... Oops still looking for one... Had to make a new username otherone stopped working

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy mubiksski (IP Logged)
Date: 04/04/2012 07:52PM

M.O..B HELP!!!
Still desperately seeking specs for rudder and tiller. Anyone???? A few photos with some important measurements SVP. Is the original rudder made of wood or some composite? I also seem to be missing the boom vang and blocks that would seem to slip into a keyhole attached to the boom. It would be nice to get some photos of this boat rigged if anyone is so inclined. I can't wait to sail this boat I have read so many good things about it.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy daystar (IP Logged)
Date: 09/05/2012 08:05AM

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum here but I do have a Sonic 23 that I've used for the last two seasons. I'm not sure if you've found the rudder/tiller dimensions you've been looking for or not. My boat comes out of the water in the third weekend of October and I'd be happy to trace out the rudder and tiller ans send along the template for you.

Let me know if you still need this.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 499
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.