Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mistral 16 sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy John (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:36AM

Date: 18 May 2000
Time: 07:19:37
Remote Name: 12.70.20.63

Question

Does anyone have information and specifications on the Mistral 16 sailboat which is no longer manufactured?Are there parts
availabe to restore these boats. I have seen one and am interested in it, but would like to know more. Thank you.

Re: Mistral 16 sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jean D (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:37AM

Date: 25 May 2000
Time: 19:24:49
Remote Name: 208.241.25.130

Question

Hi John, here is some of the info. you requested. Company building this sailboat closed business certainly around 15 years ago.
This is certainly a good quality boat however I don't you where could find part. Anyway, here are some specifications: Lenght
over all : 4.83 meters Lenght water line: 4.52 meters Beam.............: 1.85 meter Draft............: 1.16 meter Weight...........:
165.56 kg Sail area........: 13.11 sq. meters Main sail........: 8.84 sq. meters Genoa............: 4.28 sq. meters Spinaker.........:
18.14 sq. meters

Hope this helps, Jean D.

Posted by: F : Enseigne de vaisseau 2e classe (ens 2) | E: Acting Sub-Lieutenant (A/SLt) Yvan (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:38AM

Date: 27 May 2000
Time: 15:56:18
Remote Name: 206.172.248.92

Question

Very good little boat ! Hull is exactly the same as Wayfearer, a good omen !

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy qwaters@sailboatsales.com (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:42AM

Date: 28 Jun 2000
Time: 09:00:48
Remote Name: 199.22.23.3

Question

Here's a picture and few comments on that boat :

[www.sailboatsales.com]

Pretty much like a CL16, but without teack seats and without the opening for luggage in the bow (see the CL16's picture at the
same net adress or at the builder's net adress).

Hope that help you.

NB : I Know that there's also a Mistral 16 cabin. Which model are you looking for ?

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy E. barbone (IP Logged)
Date: 11/08/2004 10:38PM

Hello John
I just read some older messages on the site and I'v found your letter asking infos about Mistral 16.
As John D. and 19 22 23 3 , it is a very plesant boat to sail.
I bougt the model with cabin many years ago. it was in good condition therefore I did not spent may hours fixing problems.
'Lots of elbow grease and buffing to restore the shining.
As far as specs I would love to have some myself but no luck so far.
I was not able to get any replies to my request.
As far as parts .. well I manage to compromise with what is available on the market eather at the Boat House in Mtl or at MMO marine store in Burlington N.Y.
I had to have the stays redone in Hudson a couple of years ago beside that nothing that you could not do yourself.
It is such a pleasant and forgiving boat that I do not hesitate to sail it at the Two Mountain Lake in semi heavvy winds.
When no wind then a 5hp outboard does the trick.
The headache was the trailer (to lightly built )but this was also solved.
I had one major problem it was the swing keel cable that I forgot to look at more often...new cable...
Good luck with your Mistral\
Ed.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Pete (IP Logged)
Date: 05/22/2005 07:59PM

Hi

I have recently purchased a used Mistral 16. It is the open cockpit design. Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of the owners manual or maintenance instructions for this sail boat?

Does anyone know what the small side block on the boom is for?

Pete in Chambly QC

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy E. Barbone (IP Logged)
Date: 05/22/2005 11:02PM

Hello Pete
Just happened to read your request for infos on the Mistral 16 (open cockpit).
Unfortunately I did not had any luck in finding an old user manual myself,.. still looking..., by the way I own a Mistral with cabin.
Jean D. in his reply to John on12-06-01 gave him some specs.
As far as parts well you have to make do with what the market offers you.
You do not need any fancy things all the rest you can do by yourself nothing special.
Boat house in Dorval have parts as well as MMO marine in Burlington.
For stays there is a shop in Hudson that takes care of them.
As far as the small side block on the boom I have no idea there is none on mine.
One advise have a good look at the swing keel cable.
I am sure that you are not going to regret your purchase it is a nice little forgiving sailboat.
See you on the Two Mountain lake.
Egidio

Date: 05/23/2005 09:36AM

Hi

I have recently purchased a used Mistral 16. It is the open cockpit design. Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of the owners manual or maintenance instructions for this sail boat?

Does anyone know what the small side block on the boom is for?

Pete in Chambly QC

"Reposted on advice from WebMaster"

Egidio,

Thanks for the response. If I come across a manual I will let you know. My work takes me to Lac Megantic once in a while where these boats were built. I'll ask questions around the waterfront when I'm there. Maybe the block on the side boom was a customization by a previous owner. I have the original sails and sail bag. I'll start out on the Chambly basin just to get used to the boat.Everything is in excellent order except I need to do some work on the cockpit sole as there is a crack beside the cockpit drain. Have you noticed any leaks in this area?

Pete

Date: 05/24/2005 10:40AM

Hi Pete
Got your E mail.
Since I have the model with cabin the cockpit is a little different from the open cockpit. What I'v ound was some (gel coat) cracks on the sole because of the liner but this has been corrected by installing some teak blocks between the sole and the hull.
As far as leaks I have none in the area you mentioned. Nevertheless I am not able to see anything except what I can visualise from the outside.
Hope you are going to enjoy this little happy boat.
Do not forget to have a good look at the swing keel cable.
Thanks for looking for a manual.
Have a good day
Egidio

Re: Mistral 12 sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Deidre Castle (IP Logged)
Date: 05/25/2005 01:11PM

Hi:

I acquired a 12' fiberglass Mistral. All the rigging seems to be in tack, but it appears to be missing a bracket that holds the mast to the boat.

Can anyone help ID what that part is. I apologize for my lack of terminology- but it's my first go around with sailing.

Also, it appears to have rigging for a main sail and a front sail. If anyone can offer the proper sail this boat requires, it would be greatly appreciated.

Is MMO Marine in Burlington, MA or VT??

Deidre in New England.

Re: Mistral 12 sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Date: 05/26/2005 07:27PM

Egidio

I have to ask.. how were the teak blocks installed between the sole and the hull? Were they slipped in from the bow area?

I notice my sole is a little "bouncy" actually and that may have caused some of the problems.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Mistral 16 cabins sailboat (Boat maintenance)
Date: 05/28/2005 08:14PM

Hi there
is there any Mistral 16 cabin owner??
I am badly in need of all the infos on the "capacity plate" for that sailboat.
Load,Adults,Power
It is officially registered but the plate was no more when I'v purchased many years ago.
Thanks
Egidio

Re: Mistral 12 - Mast Support (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Andrew Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: 05/14/2006 01:34PM

Hi,
I just purchased a Mistral 12 myself. Did you ever find the bracket for the mast? My boat has one, if you like I can take a picture and send it to you.
I need info on the wooden seat over the center board, mine is missing. I am going to make one myself. Any info such as Length, Width, Thickness, any add-ons (such as cleats) would help me out greatly.
Also any related sites on Mistral. I have some documents that came with the boat if any one would like a copy.

Andrew Patterson (Montreal)

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Chris Chisholm (IP Logged)
Date: 06/05/2006 07:22AM

I've got a Mistral which I had refinished. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the hardware layout prior to stripping. Some things are now (after 2 years) a little confusing as to there placement on the vessel.

Does anyone have closeup pics of the hardware configuration?

Chris Chisholm,
Brantford, ON.,

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Chris Chisholm (IP Logged)
Date: 06/05/2006 07:24AM

Andrew, If we're talking about the same sailboat, my woodwork is intact. I'll be happy to send you pics if you need them.

Chris Chisholm,
Brantford, On.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Larry Young (IP Logged)
Date: 08/16/2006 12:17AM

I aquired a Mistral 12 some years ago and has been a great little boat. I never received an instruction book with it. I would love a copy of one if it was possible.
As for the seat, Mine has a fibreglass one and I would like to help you out with dimentions etc but I am on the west coast and my boat is in Quebec. I wont be back until next spring so if you don't have the info by then I can help you out.

L. Young.
Anacortes, Wa.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy al ptasinskas (IP Logged)
Date: 08/20/2006 09:11PM

Chris ,it was nice to read your e-mail about having a photo of the Mistral 12. I just recently picked up the hull of one of these Mistrals and they look like a wery exciting wet water sailing. I'd like to coplete the rereigging by next spring if I could get a picture of how it's rigged and laid out. thanks for any help. al

Re: Mistral 16 sailboat (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Leroy King (IP Logged)
Date: 10/01/2008 02:13AM

Hi, I own a Mistral 16 and have the factory owners manual if you would like a scan of it. Great boat.

Re: Mistral 12 - Mast Support (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Leroy King (IP Logged)
Date: 10/01/2008 02:26AM

Oh. It appears several were looking for a manual but post is old so...............If so email me direct at Leboking@aol.com

Mistral 12 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Wilson Gunn (IP Logged)
Date: 12/19/2008 09:46AM

Just purchased Mistral 12 sailboat. Looking to connect with others. Mine needs some fiberglass repair right along the right angle where cockpit floor meets the rise to the seat. Any one else work a repair like this? I see plenty of instruction about repair of more or less flat surfaces, but little on that kind of an angle.

Also is there a place on web owners of these boats converse?

Wilson Gunn
wilson.gunn@comcast.net

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 498
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.