Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy W.Foerger (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:25AM

Date: 18 Mar 2000
Time: 23:19:54
Remote Name: 142.177.102.82

Question

Looking for information on performance of the duel station. What defects should be noted if any. What maintentance should be
noted in keeping duel stations preforming properly? Any information would be an asset. Thanks

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Rod Duncan (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2001 07:54AM

Date: 08 Sep 2000
Time: 17:50:33
Remote Name: 64.228.109.177

Question

You asked if there were any problems with dual stations. Extra stress on the autopilot, if one is installed. I upgraded from
Raytheon's Autohelm 5000 when it burnt out to the 6000 and it now works fine. Also replaced the propeller with a folding
prop to reduce weatherhelm

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Steve Bauer (IP Logged)
Date: 04/10/2002 01:55AM

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at a 1983 Jouet 11.0. There were apparently only 4-5 imported to the US. Do either of you know anything about this boat or about the company that built them? I am intrigued by the boat but cannot find a darned thing about either the boat or the company anywhere on the net.

If you have a Jouet, maybe you could share your own experien ce with the boat?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Rod Duncan (IP Logged)
Date: 04/10/2002 08:36AM

The Jouet was made by a French company, Yachting France, until about 1990 when it became bankrupt during the economic Depression, along with a lot of other boat builders. YF produced sailboats comparable in quality to the Beneteau. The Jouet line was a full line up to about 35 feet, with pilothouse configurations for the 33 ft and 35 ft models, I understand. These low profile motor yachts with a great interior layout were popular in the Med Sea as charter boats, and some are still available there by the week, amazingly, being 15 years of age. Really an advanced design, now being copied by Hunter, etc. These boats were made for a blow, and perform well even though they seem short-sticked when airs are light, as one finds through the summer on the Great Lakes. I love my Jouet, but find I mostly sail from the cockpit, to feel the mainsail action. the beauty of this low profile pilothouse is the unobstructed cockpit view. In fact, its enhanced by being able to see through the interior windshield and hence under the foresail when you are sailing. Passengers love the light and view below deck. I'm happy with the snug berth sizes (secure at sea) and cabin configuration, although the head and galley could be bigger. The engine is extremely accessible. I wish I had the original naval architectural drawings for my boat, to help modify it. I think the keel could use an extra 1,000 pounds or so in the form of a bulb addition, and I'd like to update the transom with some steps and a bit of a swim platform, adding a couple of feet to it. I haven't been able to find anyone associated with the production of the boat, however. Jouet means Play, so that's probably what they are doing, is my guess. Cheers !

Posted by: F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm)F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm) Yves JULIEN (IP Logged)
Date: 04/10/2002 09:51AM

Hello Rod,

Actually "Jouet" mean "Toy". Jouer (the verb) mean "to play".

Great description of the boat.

Regards,

Yves

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Eastwood (IP Logged)
Date: 05/31/2002 12:52AM

I know this is a very late response to your question about the Jouet 940. We just purchased one here in Bellingham, WA. From what we can see so far, this boat is very well built. The wheel in the house works very well as we've used it a number of times already here in the northwest! It gets cold up here and this has come in handy already!

Do you own a Jouet 940? How long have you had her? We are extremely happy so far with the boat and we've only owned Panache 3 months now. She came by truck from the east coast 2 years ago. We are happy we got her when we did as the previous owner didn't take great care of her but we are getting her back into good shape.

Thanks in advance for your reply as we are extremely interested in finding other owners of this boat. Ours came with the original sheets that have the Yachting France logo on them. I'm going to get this scanned so I can download it for other Jouet owners who want it. I think it's a great idea to keep the logo and anything original in good shape!

Happy Sailing!

Becky Eastwood

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Martin Chalifoux (IP Logged)
Date: 12/18/2002 04:09PM

Hi guys,

just a little clarification on the french meaning of Jouet. In fact "jouet" means "toy" and the word that means "play" is "jouer".

Cheers, Martin.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mark Donnelly (IP Logged)
Date: 12/06/2003 01:24PM

I am in the process of buying a Jouet 940. Information on the net is very scarce. Anybody know anything about her and how does she compare to the
940 Pilothouse

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mac Finch (IP Logged)
Date: 02/03/2004 03:22PM

I own a Jouet 1044 Pilothouse and love her. I have had her for about three years and the more I get to know her the more respect I have for whoever built her. Like others have said it is hard to find anyone who knows anything about them. I has been though for me to deside to let her go but our lives change and so do our needs. The boats are great and I would consider another lager one if I ever come across one.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Eric (IP Logged)
Date: 03/29/2004 08:55AM

A reference here, FWIW.

[www.udkik.dk]

Best

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Stewart (IP Logged)
Date: 01/31/2005 07:16AM

Hi,
I am trying to trace the production date of a 940 in England. We have a HIN NO that looks like 1545033 or 205 039 which could be 1983. Do you know the date and hull identification number of yours?
news@ukmarine.net

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy LOUIS VERRONE (IP Logged)
Date: 04/12/2005 02:57PM

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BUY A JOUET SAIL BOAT, BUT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ONE.I LOVE THE DESIGN OF THIS BOAT AND WOULD LOVE TO OWN ONE. IF ANEYONE KNOWS OF ONE FOR SALE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Sails and Furlers) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Chris Wood (IP Logged)
Date: 08/17/2005 08:25AM

Hi- youre probably fitted up by now and I dont know where you are-I guess the USA.
I have a Jouet 940 MS for sale based at the marina at Port Camargue in the south of France. I have had this boat for 5 years and due to my wifes increasing arthritis I have to sell.
The hull was epoxy resin treated five years ago due to minor osmosis.
Considering its a motor sailer it is surprising how well it sails and six knots is no problem. The engine is 26hp Volvo
I has an amazing amount of room with two double rear cabins with wardrobe and washbasin.
It is fully fitted out with new instruments, gps and autopilot.
The price is £35,000
Regards Chris Wood

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Sails and Furlers) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Chris Wood (IP Logged)
Date: 08/17/2005 08:32AM

Hi- youre probably fitted up by now and I dont know where you are-I guess the USA.
I have a Jouet 940 MS for sale based at the marina at Port Camargue in the south of France. I have had this boat for 5 years and due to my wifes increasing arthritis I have to sell.
The hull was epoxy resin treated five years ago due to minor osmosis.
Considering its a motor sailer it is surprising how well it sails and six knots is no problem. The engine is 26hp Volvo
I has an amazing amount of room with two double rear cabins with wardrobe and washbasin.
It is fully fitted out with new instruments, gps and autopilot.
The price is £35,000
Regards Chris WoodLOUIS VERRONE wrote:
>
>
>
> I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO BUY A JOUET SAIL BOAT, BUT HAVE
> NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ONE.I LOVE THE DESIGN OF THIS BOAT AND
> WOULD LOVE TO OWN ONE. IF ANEYONE KNOWS OF ONE FOR SALE
> PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
>
> THANKS

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Sails and Furlers) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy christopher wood (IP Logged)
Date: 04/26/2006 02:38PM

I sold Halcyon late last year to a French couple on my pontoon at Port Camargue. I was able to let them have the boat for 46,000 Euros as there was no agent involved. It was a great boat and, for its length, huge inside. I shall miss her.
Chris Wood

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy christopher wood (IP Logged)
Date: 04/27/2006 08:20AM

I have now sold this boat to a French couple on my pontoon at Port Camargue south of France. They had been eying it for some time and knowing I was thinking of selling, asked for first refusal.As there was no agent involved I sold it for £32000. About US $57,000 .She was a great boat and I shall miss her.
Chris Wood

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim Eastwood (IP Logged)
Date: 09/26/2008 04:57PM

Hello from Bellingham, Wa usa

I have a 1985 Jouet 940MS and must say, all my friends, with equal sized boats love ours. The dual stations are great when wanting to get out
of the weather.
As far as maintenance goes, all you need to do is lube and inspect for bad gear.
We have had this boat for 7 years and have had no trouble with the gear.

Since I bought it, I have added a hot water system and Wallas diesel heater.
Since we live aboard about half time, these are nice and needed. We recently
totally rebuilt the top end of the engine and replaced all pumps and starter for the fun of it. It is the Volvo 2003 and runs like a champ.

I am glad to see the prices posted for less equipped boats. I guess I should
bring it to Europe to sell eventually.

Jim Eastwood

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michael Foster (IP Logged)
Date: 09/08/2009 11:56AM

Hi there,
Have just bought a Jouet 940 with Kemp in-mast furling and wondered if anyone can advise on the cleaning and lubrication of this system.

Cheerz.

Michael

Re: Jouet 940 Pilothouse 33ft, 1985 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Colin (IP Logged)
Date: 09/15/2009 06:19PM

Hi
I have a Jouet 760 (1981)
Maja is our first boat. Been sailing for 3 months in UK.
She is very kindly to us newbies. Exceptional handling at close quarters.
Aft double cabin puts her way above other 27'ish foot boats for accomm' & layout.
These smaller Jouets sell for appx 12 - 15k sterling in UK.
Everyone in the Marina respects her despite all being mostly twice her size....

QUESTION: Does anyone have any experience of the swing keel on these smaller Jouets??

Bon Jouer
Cole

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy bill (IP Logged)
Date: 09/18/2009 03:21PM

I too am interested in this desgn - do you have any photo's of the interior of your (or another) Jouet 940 Pilothouse

Bill

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Antoine (C&C 30), Benoitgm(B32S5), Jacques P, Namor, Pierre B39, jumanji, lionel cormier
+ Online Guests: 601
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 864 on March 26, 2019 10:26PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.