Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
GPS Maps and chart info (Electronic/computer on board)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ralph (IP Logged)
Date: 05/10/2011 07:30AM

So I have a Garmin GPS. Now I'm wondering which set of charts to get
for it. I'd be sailing the great lakes and Georgian Bay and the
Muskokas (Lakes Rosseau, Joseph and Muskoka, and Lake Simcoe.
I'd like to know what you all suggest. I've been thinking along the
lines of the BlueChart g2 set for Canda, Great Lakes.
Yes? No? Is there better? Cheaper?
I'd appreciate your input.

Ralph
Matilda 20, hull #761

Re: GPS Maps and chart info (Electronic/computer on board)
Posted by: F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm)F : Amiral (am) | E: Admiral (Adm) Yves JULIEN (IP Logged)
Date: 05/10/2011 08:36AM

Hello Ralph,

I also have a Garmin. You can also use the TOPO Canada chart but it does not provide any batimetric information (depth and all).

Beside the Blue Chart, I'm not certain tere is any marin chart available for Garmin.

Regards,

Yves

"Voile

Posted by: F : Matelot-chef (matc) | E: Master Seaman (MS) lamimartin (IP Logged)
Date: 05/12/2011 06:56AM

Hi Ralph,
What is the exact GPS model you have ? There are compatibility issues with maps. Some Garmin accept TRAK maps, etc but some are quite limited. The bottom line is to make sure BEFORE you buy a map because maps are linked to your GPS serial number (downloadable) or on to the copy protected SD memory chip.

Martin, Sandpiper 565 #925

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ralph (IP Logged)
Date: 05/12/2011 08:22AM

Hi Martin, I have a Garmin Oregon 450. It's a pretty versatile unit that accepts all the latest types of maps. I loaded a free topo from the internet that is actually quite good. I was hoping there would be some nautical charts that maybe I didn't know about. I was also trying to avoid the SD chip maps because if you ever change GPS units you're stuck having to buy another map set.

Ralph

Posted by: F : Matelot-chef (matc) | E: Master Seaman (MS) lamimartin (IP Logged)
Date: 05/13/2011 01:07AM

Ralph Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(...)I was also trying to avoid the SD chip maps because if you ever change GPS units you're stuck having to buy another map set.
Ralph

=======================
Dear Ralph, as you probably know, Nautical charts manufacturers either link the chart to a GPS unit serial number or to the SD chip integrated copy protection. If you unit fails and is not economical to repair, downloaded charts will be unusable, but charts on SD chip will work on just any replacement unit down the road. Even if the replacement unit has not internal memory, it would likely work with the SD chip.

Unfortunately, maps on SD chips cannot be viewed on your PC... nothing is perfect!:rolleyes1:

Martin, Sandpiper 565 #925

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 494
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.