Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Winston Russell (IP Logged)
Date: 12/05/2001 01:10PM

Date: 5/7/98
Time: 9:59:03 PM
Remote Name: 208.148.200.119

Question

I am interested in contacting other Elite 37 owners to share problems, upgrade projects, etc. Additionally, I would like
information about the boat. How many were made? Were they all constructed in France? Custom Layouts?
wrussell@netdoor.com

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy HARRY (IP Logged)
Date: 10/11/2005 04:15PM

Did you ever receive any responses on your question concerning the Elite 37? I am also considering this boat and can find no one who can help me.

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy willie (IP Logged)
Date: 12/04/2005 12:45PM

owned one in 1986; pretty decent boat all-around. Rig was not the best quality, though.

Posted by: F : Enseigne de vaisseau de 1re classe (ens 1) | E: Sub-Lieutenant (SLt) Paul Bousquet (IP Logged)
Date: 12/27/2005 10:59PM

You might contact teh below mentioned

Good luck
happy hollidays
Paul Bousquet sa
Marine surveyor
SAMS ABYC

Elite Kirie
Mr. Jean Beaudoin
Kirie/ Elite / Feeling yachts
3685, avenue Henri-Julien
Montreal, Quebec H2X 3H4 CANADA
CANADA
Phone: 514-284-6091
Fax: 514-284-5072
Email Address

Kirie Elite Owners Group
Jerry A. Rudd
Phone: 757-436-3809
Email Address
Users who care to become members will need a Yahoo user ID and password

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Larry Crouder (IP Logged)
Date: 05/17/2006 05:33PM

Just read your listing and thought I'd respond since I have some of the same questions that you do. I am not sure that I can help a lot because this is the first boat I have purchased of this size. Purchased the boat in Oct. of 2004 in Tacoma and moved it to Anacortes Washington where my Mother lives. Looked at quite a few boats and picked the Elite because of its light weight, ample sail area, and excellent layout for cruising. The people who I bought it from said it was fast and was well balanced. They actually backed out of the deal one time because they didn't really want to sell it. A month later they realized they really did not have time to sail and decided to go through with the deal. They are nice people and we still correspond. Really like and enjoy the boat, both the sailing and the projects to upgrade that I have undertaken. The only thing about the boat that gives me pause is that all french boats have steel keels. I had to have mine re-epoxied this fall and it was expensive and took a lot of work grinding off the old down to fresh metal. I am really enjoying the sailing around the islands in NW Washington and the neighboring Canadian islands. Not ready for much open ocean. If I can be of any help, I will gladly share what I have learned.
Larry

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jeff Quirk (IP Logged)
Date: 03/22/2008 12:49AM

Hello,
Just came across these listings .After an extensive search of the used yacht market in Australia I was lucky enough to come across a Feeling Elite 37. I chose this boat primarily based on it's design pedigree from Ron Holland.The generous interior layout provided the accommodation comfort we were after in a larger yacht from our original 8.0 metre yacht whilst the cockpit layout provided good sail control from the cockpit.Most yachts of this size have the main-sheet traveller on the cabin top which is inefficient for mainsail trim,the Elite 37 has a cockpit main sheet traveller that provides good mainsail control essential for any performance sailing.
It may surprise some to know that although the boat is equipped ready for regular cruising I race this yacht no less than twice /week and in winter and between two and three races per week in summer season.Performance is equal to equivalent to much newer boats from Jeaneau & Beneteau and better than Elan and Bavaria of similar size & style.
The boat is an impressive performer under sail if driven efficiently.It has ample sail area to drive the boat under both light and heavy conditions.Good hull shape and relatively light weight .Yet the sail area is OK for short handed cruising.
Modifications and upgrades : Replaced original Volvo 2003 Series 29HP saltwater cooled in 2005 with Yanmar Model 3YM30 30HP with ZF15MA Gearbox to provide more efficiency with hot water heating .Used a 2 Blade Gori Folding Propeller 16.5" x 15" Pitch.Cruise speed @ 2500RPM 7knots.
Sails were replaced by Doyle Frazer in 2006 > Mainsail identical to original sail plan. No1 Genoa replaced with a 115% No2 that provides great all round performance in most conditions and much easier handling than the 150% Genoa.
Re-Rigged mast identical to original in 2006.Renewed all mast electrics at that time.Added a new 32mm conduit to mast replacing the poorly installed original 20mm conduit.
The only disappointing aspect I have found is with respect to the original electrics .All original wiring was done without using tinned copper wire and corrosion over time has obviously caused some electrical unreliability. Most of this has now been replaced.

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Alexander Rosental (IP Logged)
Date: 02/03/2009 09:14AM

I am about to buy a Kirie Elite 37 in need of desperate care. If you are all still there, where can I find design drwgs, specs from the Builder or Designer Kirie /Philippe Harle. specialy a keel design.

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Roger Poissenot (IP Logged)
Date: 06/05/2009 07:00AM

I recently bought a 1989/90 Elite 37 in Nanaimo from Passage Yachts.
So far so good,no major issue, I also found that a smaller 110% fore sail is much easier to hanle then my 150% . The Winches are not placed very well for single handling ,My mainsheet is on the cabing top and as mentioned in an other comment is difiicult to handle from the wheel position ( would be better in the cockpit.) THe boat sails very well ,very easy.It motors backwards like a dream .
Companyion way entry somewhat difficult for a larger person.( doger installed )
more later

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Laurel (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2009 07:26AM

We are interested in purchasing an '84 Elite 37 and were wondering if you all could give us any input on what to watch out for.

Cheers,
Laurel

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Laurel (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2009 07:44AM

Forgot to add that we are also looking for a blue water cruiser...is an Elite 37 worth a look?

Cheers again,
Laurel

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Terry Parker (IP Logged)
Date: 02/20/2010 09:54AM

I purchased the first Elite 37 imported into this country in 1984. It was the tall rig version. We still own an Elite 37, but she is a custom version because the dealer replaced the original boat with a new one after discovering manufacturing defects. The replacement ELite 37 had more than $12,000 worth of additional stuff.
We are the original owners and still own her. She is light and a bit tender, but is very fast. We raced her in the early days with a phrf of 99.
I still have the original Volvo 2003, 28hp fresh water cooled engine. The boat is now equipped with a ss shaft, new strut, Flexiprop folder and dripless stuffing box. In place of the original 50 amp alternator, I installed a 125 amp alternator. One of the extras is a second diesel tank.
The water tanks are also stainless steel.
I had some problems with the cast iron keel, so I contacted Butch Dalrymple-Smith, Ron Holland's original partner. He provided me with much assistance and a copy of the original drawings. I found that the maximum draft of the NACA keel was actual at 60% rather than the design of 35%. I coated the keel with epoxy and faired the keel (with a great deal of filler)to match specifications. We can sail now at 7.5 knots at 28° apparent wind in 10-12 knots of wind.
Our boat is totally tricked out with many ways to shape sail. There are 11 winches. The baby stay is on a track to bend the mast. There is a adjustable backstay. All the hardware and sheaves have been replaced with ball bearing versions.
I have been doing all the work on the Elite 37 since it was purchased new. If you have any questions or need any help, just contact me. I am an architect and have performed services for clients on their yachts.

Terry Parker

Date: 02/20/2010 10:28AM

I forgot to mention that in the set of Ron Holland drawings that Butch Dalrymple-Smith sent to me are drawings to add a scoop to the stern and an alternate rudder without a skeg. I have the lofting plan, sail plan and rigging plan and many construction details. I also have an electrical plan.
Most boats do not strictly match the drawings. The electrical plans I have are for our original boat that had two heads. I am glad we have only one. The v-berth is much better and we now have stowage instead of the starboard and port seaberths. We do miss the bar and wet lock that was forward in the salon.

Terry Parker

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Ideas and gadgets)
Date: 02/20/2010 10:41AM

I do have drawings for some custom parts I designed and have had fabricated for the Elite 37 (Kirie Feeling 1100). Some are:

(a) Custom Mast Step Blocks and Mast base attachment
(These new ball bearing blocks lower the line lead to prevent fouling)
(Garhauer custom made great blocks for me)

(b) Replacement metal ball bearing sheaves for halyards at the mast head
(Garhauer also fabricated the sheaves for me)

Since I have replaced all the original blocks with blocks and sheaves with ball bearings, the physical efforts to raise and trim sails is much easier and simpler.

I also have a number of drawings for other gear and improvements on an Elite 37 (Feeling 1100).

Let me know if you need anything.

Terry Parker

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michael (IP Logged)
Date: 07/31/2010 02:33PM

Hello Terry,
In process of purchasing an 83 Elite 37.Original owner decided to power 4 DC space heaters with a battery charger. Needless to say, was not a good idea. Battery charger caught fire, burned the nav station and headliner. Rest of boat in great shape. I'll be replacing the breaker panel and rewiring form the companionway forward. You stated you had some original electrical diagrams, would you be willing to share them? I have no problem wiring from scratch, but would be interested in what was in her and how it was run. There is no documentation of any kind on the boat.

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Michael S/V Mistral

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Terry (IP Logged)
Date: 08/18/2010 12:14PM

Mike:

I have a blueprint of the Elite 37 electrical system. If your boat was in Texas and her name is Mistral, then it was the original Elite 37 that I purchased and exchanged for another boat because of manufacturing defects. Elite replaced the original Elite with a later one. Please let me know additional information about your boat. My original Elite 37 had two heads, fabric water tanks, seaberths on port and starboard and a raw water cooled Volvo 2003 28hp diesel. It also had locker forward in the salon on starboard. If it is the original Mistral, it had problems with a cracked and leaking rudder skeg, leaking through the hull/keel joint and various other issues.
I have all the original paperwork for both boats (orig & present) and all of Ron Holland's plans. I am in New Jersey and most of the info is at my Florida residence (Tampa Bay). There is some still here in New Jersey.
I have all the specs on the original standing and running rigging and an extensive Manual I have put together.
I have met Ron Holland and have shared dinner with Butch Dalrymple-Smith, Holland's original partner and office manager. Butch was the helpful person.
Let me know how I can help you.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Graeme (IP Logged)
Date: 09/06/2010 06:40PM

I don't suppose any one has had any experience with the Feeling 446 Just considering one for Blue water cruising and don't really know much about these yachts at all.

Many thanks,
Graeme.

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jeff Quirk (IP Logged)
Date: 11/25/2010 05:28AM

Hello Terry,

I have a 1985 Kirie Feeling Elite 37.The area where the skeg joins the hull appears susceptible to cracking.On my boat this has been repaired and reinforced however,still shows signs of stress.
I have for some time been looking at removing the skeg & skeg mounted rudder and modifying the hull to fit a new balanced rudder.
I would be very interested in the details you have from Butch Dalrymple-Smith on an alternative rudder without a skeg.
I also race my boat and while the keel is fully faired on my Feeling I would be interested in the keel specifications you mention.

Just out of interest has anyone replaced the steel keel bolts? Are these threaded into the keel?
Otherwise a very nice boat.

Best Regards Jeff Quirk(SV Another Promise) Lake Macquarie Australia.

Re: Elite 37 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Doran (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2017 12:52PM

I recently purchased the Elite 37 Mistral located on a lake in TX. Any info anyone can provide? Thanks

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Alain T-29, Antilag, Benoitgm(B32S5), Capricorne, Charles (S2 27), Dede_M25, Denis K850, Fern. Legend 35.5, Flagman101, Karma, Luc, Michel_V27, Namor, Régis, Ti-Mousse, ceduluxe, demetan-F29, doucejenny22, jcote75, jean(H38), jproy, lcoulombe, lilicybel, maubeche, meo, torngats
+ Online Guests: 515
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.