Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Corey Mitchell (IP Logged)
Date: 05/04/2006 04:40PM

Hello, any body have any information about the islands 17?

i just bought one but cant find any information on them

i specificcally need the portsmouth number

email me cmitchell2006@hotmail.com

thanks

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bob Lynch (IP Logged)
Date: 05/17/2006 09:34PM

I am in the process of selling the one that I presently own. I have been delighted with it, it has a wide beam and is a very stable, solid boat. Mine is a bright yellow, the same as in the picture on the literature that I have on the boat. I just bought a 26' C & C because I want a bigger boat that I can sleep on.

I will be happy to scan and send you the advertisement literature if you respond to me. My understanding from what I have read is that these boats were constructed by Ocean Yachts, though I looked them up on the NADA list of used boat values and nothing this small was listed as being made by Ocean Yachts.

It would help me to find out the going price for mine to determine how much to charge if you can provide me with how much you paid. Mine is from the early 1970's and is in superb condition for a sailboat this old.

Bob

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy joel shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 06/02/2006 05:52PM

Hi
Saw you posting... I paid $ 750 last year... boat had everything except the main and jib halyards... that cost about $ 300... I am thinking of selling mine in a year or 2 to buy a 5 or 6 year old Rhodes 19.

I would hope to get at least $ 1,200 - 1,500.

Would love to see original advertisments.

Thanks and my best,

Joel

Posted by: F : Capitaine de corvette (capc) | E: Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Patrick(PY23) (IP Logged)
Date: 06/27/2006 04:40PM

My 19 was made by Sumner boat Company from Amityville, NY the 17 might be from the same builder.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Steve (IP Logged)
Date: 07/03/2006 05:42PM

I bought a 1978 model in 1999 from a neighbor in Michigan for $1200. He bought it about 5 years prior to that from someone who relocated to Michigan from the east coast. I had intended to take it out on Lake Michigan when I lived in the Chicago area, but did not. I usually trailered it to Lake Geneva in southern Wisconsin. (10 miles long x 2 miles wide). It is very stable, and seats 4 adults (with some 'day gear' very comfortably. I'm preparing to sell it - hope to get ~$2000. All lines are 'ok', main, jib, & spinnaker are in great shape. I'm including lots of stuff with it - trailer&extra wheels/tires, life jackets, swim ladder, 2hp very old Evinrude twin,paddles, etc. I would be very interested in the sales literature. Thanks.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Alain Dominique (IP Logged)
Date: 08/22/2006 01:06PM

Bonjour Bob ,
I just bought an Islands 17 on Ebay . The boat came on an aluminium trailer and got it for cheap ............ dam cheap .
I did the round trip last saturday to New-York and I took the boat back to North of Montreal on Lake of Two Mountains Quebec . One neighboor offered me 2300 $ canadian just on my arrival . I'm considering the offer but I'm missing the rudder . This must be a kick up rudder and i can make one . So for this I'm very inetrest to get some litterature or pictures .
If you'be kind to scan the litterature you have I would be very happy .
Paid 405 on Ebay !!!!!!!!
thank you for your attention

Salut

Alain

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Alice M (IP Logged)
Date: 07/09/2007 03:51PM

Does anyone know who the original sail manufacturer was for the sails for the Islands 17 sailboat made by Sumner Boat Co of Amityville, NY?

I would like to buy a boat in my area, but it has no sails. Looking for specs for sails.

Thanks.

Alice

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy paul (IP Logged)
Date: 07/11/2007 04:16PM

I just picked up a @ '77 islands 17 would anyone have a manual for this boat? I need some parts such as the mast step and probably a rudder. thanks for the help.

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Annette (IP Logged)
Date: 07/13/2007 06:01PM

FL
i have a 1977 islands 17 for sale, we bought it 4 yrs ago and never used it, not registered, and trailer tags are expired. you pick up, asking $1000 obo.
contact us at amendozao@aol.com we are in southern california

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Todd (IP Logged)
Date: 10/08/2007 10:18PM

Re: Islands 17, I have specs scanned from my class assn manual for 1985. If someone needs this file, email me directly and I will attempt to email it to you. Regards,
Todd

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy T.J. Shrestha (IP Logged)
Date: 11/17/2007 12:14AM

Hi,
I just bought an Islands 17, but missing the rudder. I'd appreciate any information (picture, dimensions, etc) regarding what kind of rudder goes with it. I have the one page brochure with basic specs if anyone is interested.
Thanks.
TJ

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy bill rabatin (IP Logged)
Date: 03/28/2008 08:35AM

I have a mark 25 sold by sumner and my replacement sails are by north sails,so contact them

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michael J. Hinterman (IP Logged)
Date: 07/07/2008 10:57PM

Wow, it's nice to know I own a popular boat! I paid $1200. for a 17 with North Sails, eight years ago. It is also bright yellow and in good condition for a 1972. I am considering new sails also and rebuilding the rudder. I bought and sail mine in Michigan.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Brad Fleming (IP Logged)
Date: 09/24/2008 08:31PM

I just purchased a 17 today and plan on sailing it on Walloon Lake, in northern Michigan near Petoskey. I bought it without ever sailing it! It is in perfect condition, with a new trailer and 5hp kicker as well.

Where can I get any information on this boat?

Brad

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy John O'. (IP Logged)
Date: 11/03/2008 07:40PM

I have a 1978 Islands 12. It's sails are original, made by Hard Sails. THE BOAT IS 70'S ORANGE,like a fondue pot. It was made by Ocean Yachts, NY , cost $970 new. Good luck. J.O'.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mike G (IP Logged)
Date: 01/01/2009 11:06PM

Hi Just found this thread. I have an Islands 17 made by OYC in '76. It's bright yellow with sails by Hard. Came in great condition except for the rudder which I rebuilt out of mahogany with the original hardware. Sail her 3 days a week on lake Champlain.
Mike

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Brandon Miller (IP Logged)
Date: 04/17/2009 11:52PM

Hello everyone.

I bought what I am told is an Island 17 made possibly in 1967. The boat is in fantastic shape. There was no paper information with the boat when I got it. It to is bright yellow. I have been trying to get as much information as I can about this boat but with no much luck. I have heard there are two possible builders, Ocean Yachts and Summer Boat Co. but which is the correct builder? I have refinished all the wood except the rudder. If anyone could contact me on where I may find replacement parts for somethings that would be great. Hope everyone has a fun and safe boating season.

Brandon Miller

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Wright (IP Logged)
Date: 04/21/2009 07:15PM

Hi Brandon, I also own one of these boats, have quite a bit of information. I just found this site, gave up looking years ago, all my searches came up empty. I am in a rush now but will get back to you. By the way, for Google sake it is an IsandS, s at the end makes a big difference.

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Brandon Miller (IP Logged)
Date: 04/21/2009 08:48PM

Sorry David, I forgot the "S" on the end of Islands. I did not know what the difference is. If you would please let me know. I am just glad to be able to talk with someone that owns the same boat. I too have been searching for information on it since I bought it last year, so if you would not mind telling me what you have found that would be great. This is the first boat I have ever owned.

Thanks for answering, interested in you getting back to me later.

Brandon.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David (IP Logged)
Date: 04/22/2009 05:10PM

Looking for information on modified, white hull, Island 17 made by Sumner, not yellow hulled Ocean Yachts models. Problems with bilge and rain water. Thanks

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 428
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.