Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul (IP Logged)
Date: 05/09/2009 03:12PM

I have a 1983 Island 17 made in Amityville NY. I purchased it new, as a teenager, from a boat sales place on the Jersey Coast. The sail manufacturer is D&D sail makers Inc. It has rainbow sails and yellow Jib. It is a fiberglass hull will yellow gel. The seats are floatation in case you flip and have saved by butt many times. The boat was purchased from under a order by the Jersey Coast Guard. They had ordered 6 boats for training and the dealer only had mine in. So he sold it to me with retactable engine mount. The orignal sticker on the side of the hull says "Island 17 Sumner Boat Co. Amityville NY". The rudder and the centerboard are aluminum and are retractable. The rigging is identical to Hobie and Pringle riggings except the mount bracket is on a hard surface and does not require a ball joint system. Just two pins hold it down. Hope this helps some of you out. The original price was $6700.00.

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Light sail)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy adam (IP Logged)
Date: 06/03/2009 01:41PM

hi im having the same problem with my sumner built islands 17 the camber under the floor is full of water i just got it not to long ago and i thought it could be a water ballast but i guess not. how did you solve your problem?

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Craig Lyerly (IP Logged)
Date: 06/07/2009 09:47PM

Have ownes several sail boats, Westerly, Hunter, O'day,Compac etc. just saw this 17' Islands boat, main, jib Trailer, good condition and no nothing but always interested in new adventures in sailing. Any information, pictures, openions, etc would be greatly apprechiated.
Regards
Craig Lyerly
clyerly@neenahpaper.com

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Dave S (IP Logged)
Date: 07/11/2009 12:00PM

I have a 1973 era yellow Islands 17. I have just bought a Flying Scot....most of the racers on our lake own the Scot.
I am considering selling the 17. It has excellent sails. I have rebuilt the rudder.
Any ideas on an appropriate price? Thanks.

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ken A (IP Logged)
Date: 07/27/2009 10:14PM

Hay Dave I have a 17 that has no rudder since you re did yours could you give me dimensions?

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ken A (IP Logged)
Date: 07/27/2009 10:19PM

hay dave i have a 17 with out a rudder could you send me some d1mentions?

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy marvin beaupre (IP Logged)
Date: 08/27/2009 04:26PM

I saw your message about having info on the Islands 17. If you still have it please send it to me. I appreciate your help. Thank you

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Geoffrey Carlson (IP Logged)
Date: 10/01/2009 10:57AM

about the water under the floor, I had the same problem. Mine was leaking from the hole the pin for the keel goes thru. I had access thru a couple of holes in the middle beam. ( i think they might have been made fir this purpose). I put 2 inch washers on the pin and sealed it with seatack. It is a product for sealing damage on hulls. I might not have the product name exactly correct, but a marine supply store will know what it is. It has been leak free for three years since.

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Eric (IP Logged)
Date: 10/27/2009 03:19PM

I'm a novice sailor considering buying an Islands 17. I will most likely be "trailer-sailing" it, so I'm particularly interested in how easy it is to step the mast and rig it. Anyone have opinions about its general ease of use? It sounds as though finding replacement parts may be difficult? Any advice is appreciated.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Geoffrey Carlson (IP Logged)
Date: 11/05/2009 06:48PM

I have been trailer sailing an islands 17 for a few years, it only takes about 20 minutes to unload and launch including stepping the mast

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Wayne Eshelman (IP Logged)
Date: 01/10/2010 04:13PM

I noticed that a number of posts involved looking for rudder specs.

We just purchased a 1986 model that has been sailed less than 50 times and spent 10 years in covered storage. I believe the rudder has been partially replaced (the blade looks original).

If anyone has had success finding rudder specs I would appreciate a copy.

Thanks,

Wayne

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jesse (IP Logged)
Date: 03/05/2010 04:07PM

Where can I buy parts for the Islands 17? speciically hiking straps and a spinnaker with rigging. Also is there a trap set up for this model?

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Greg (IP Logged)
Date: 04/21/2010 07:13PM

My wife & I bought one (new) from Cooneys Marine in 1975 for $2018 with a British Seagull including tax. We sold it in 1993 with a trailer for $1900. The boat looks to be a copy of the Tanzer Constillation.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill T. (IP Logged)
Date: 05/25/2010 09:39AM

Hey folks -

I have just acquired a bright yellow 1979 Islands 17.

I did a bunch of Googling, and for those of you (like me) who need to make a new rudder, here is what you need:

[www.clal.ca]

[www.clal.ca]

What you will find there is a PDF file of a large technical drawing of a Tanzer 16. The Islands 17 apparently was a very close copy of the Tanzer 16, and from what I have found, the rudder designs are identical.

I also found an Islands 17 owner on the web, and he was kind enough to send me photos of his original rudder, with a tape measure next to it, from which I was able to see that it is indeed just like the rudder on the Tanzer 16. The Islands 17 rudder might be just a couple inches longer to the bottom point, but that's about it.

The rudder is 3/16" aluminum sandwiched between marine plywood.

The Tanzer 16 site, which also has a little info about the Islands 17, is [www.clal.ca]. You'll find that much of what he says about the Tanzer 16 applies equally to the Islands 17.

This also will be helpful to you:

[www.rvharvey.com]

That is a PDF of the original Islands 17 "owner's manual," such as it is. It does describe how to set up the rigging, and gives some specs on the boat, but it's short on lots of detail.

I'm planning on putting together a website with all the information I can find about the Islands 17, because I have yet to find one. So I figure I might as well put one together.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Robert Brower (IP Logged)
Date: 07/05/2010 03:23PM

Hello to all. Glad to find a contact for other Islands 17 owners. I have had a 1976 yellow model since 1979, and sailed it with my family on the Great South Bay of Long Island NY. My understanding from a local marine supplier is that Ocean Yachts produced these in a facility on the Patchogue River in Patchogue LI, NY I have been successful in replacing any worn hardware with Hobbie products. According to the former marine supplier in Bellport NY, the original standing rigging used, was standard Hobbie products.

I now have a Rhodes 22, and still sail the Great South Bay, so I am planning to place my Islands 17 on eBay. I would be glad to hear from any of you.

Bob

Re: Islands 17 - For Sale in Westport NY (Lake Champlain) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim Carlisle (IP Logged)
Date: 07/16/2010 09:16PM

I have been the happy owner of an Islands 17 for nine years. Built in '77, it has the original sails in great condition, but with new lines. i rebuilt the rudder, which now tilts and stays up when on a mooring. I added a 42" long mahogany tiller with an extension. The trailer is somewhat rusted, but tilts for launch in shallow water. I also replaced the spreaders and some of the rigging.

i have specs for the Tanzer 18, which is very similar, from which I designed and manufactured the new rudder.

I have decided to sell the boat. It is in Westport, NY on Lake Champlain. I would like to get $1000 for the boat, OBO. You can email me or call 817-812-2957.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ted Rissell (IP Logged)
Date: 07/20/2010 05:31PM

I have an Island 17 with sails, rudder, trailer with new tires and a title for boat and trailer. Also a boat cover. Price $900. phone 301-387-6463. The boat is located at Deep Creek lake in western Maryland. ted.rissell2@gmail.com

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Thomas Taccetta (IP Logged)
Date: 08/24/2010 07:21PM

Hi anyone who knows about or owns an Islands 17'

I just bought one and am having a problem with a leak. I refinished the boat and replaced a rusty wire going to the center board. The cabin is not leaking but there is water getting into the bilge from the center board housing. Just talking to someone else who owns this kind of boat would help.
thanks
Tom

Re: Islands 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Thomas Taccetta (IP Logged)
Date: 09/06/2010 10:13AM

Hi everyone, I was looking for a place that I can get new rub rail for my islands 17. I tried West Marine and a couple of other sites with no good results. Has anyone else tried to replace it?

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Tony DEloia (IP Logged)
Date: 04/10/2011 08:37PM

I owned an Island 17 for about 25 years. It was great Boat. My two older sons (now in their mid 40's) learned to sail on the boat.
I'm a decent sailor and never swamped the boat in all those years (came close though). The boat was first made by Ocean Yachts in Patchogue, Long Island, and was built as a single hull model, then to stiffen the hull a bit made with an inner hull. mine held up well and sailed faster than the double hulled mode. You could see the rays of the sun through my hull, which was also yellow, but later faded out quite a bit so it was almost white. I never put paint on it since the gel coat held up fairly wellm except for the bleaching out..... Later, Sumner started making them in Amityville L.I. Neither company survive to this day.
I don't remember which sail maker made the sails but no doubt Doyle or North will have the spec's in their database. I took an older main sail and had it cut down to use as as "reefed" main, and I also had two jibs, a genny and the smaller jib, so I was usually able to sail in any weather.....I have a photo in my computer of my teenage son, my 10 year old niece, and my 90 year old mother sailing with me in the Island 17". I took the photo from the foredeck. I'll be glad to forward this photo if you send your email address.
My friend Jim also had (and still has) an Island 17 (double hull) in Marietta Georgia. They don't get much wind on Lake Lanier so he's considering selling his boat. Let me know if you want to be in touch with Jim. Years ago Jim lived on the South Shore of Long Island, so we'd often sail in the Great South Bay on his Island 17 or he'd sail on mine on Long Island Sound or in local harbors, Huntington, Centerport or Northport. Those were really nice times. Jim and I still chat about them.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Antilag, Barefoot, Daniel L., Dede_M25, Denis K850, Fern. Legend 35.5, Flagman101, Foxtail, Louis(Dufour31), Mario (Laser 28), Pascal, Pierre B39, Pierre ODay34, Régis, Ti-Mousse, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, ceduluxe, claude calva, doucejenny22, jproy, lcoulombe, lilicybel, lionel cormier, mjoncas, tango11
+ Online Guests: 510
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.