Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy JERRY MONK (IP Logged)
Date: 11/13/2004 12:06PM

THINKING OF TAKING A HALMAN 20 TO THE ATLANTIC AND ACROSS.
I NEED THE FOLLOWIG QUESTIONS ANSWERED.
HOW STABLE ARE THEY IN ROUGH SEA.?
DOES THE LOW FREEBOARD TAKE ON MUCH WATER WHEN UNDER HIGH WINDS ?
WHAT ARE THIER CRUSING SPEEDS?
CAN A SMALL DIESL BE ADDED WITH A SHAFT PROPELLER ?
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE WATER /WASTE TANKS ?

THE BOAT WILL BE ON A SPECIAL NON PROFIT CROSSING WITH A SOLO SAILER WITH TODAYS BOATING TECNICAL GADGETS.
CAN THE BOAT SURVIVE THE CROSSING AS IV'E BEEN TOLD THEY ARE A STURDY LITTLE BOAT.
:HELLO:

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Chuck (IP Logged)
Date: 12/10/2004 06:44PM

Hello- I sail a Halman 20 on the Hudson River (near Albany, NY) What a great boat! I've sailed on many windy days and always found the Halman to be extremely stable and safe! I am looking forward to sailing to N.Y. City and Long Island Sound and I have complete confidence in this sailboat! Actually the Halman has surprised me by the amount of wind she can take without even showing any signs of stress. On very, very windy days I sail with just the main or the jib. (working jib) The boat seems very comfortable with that. Also she is a very dry boat. I've sailed in 3 to 4 foot chop and stayed reasonably dry! I've owned my boat a little over a year and I wouldn't part with it!

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Robb Waters (IP Logged)
Date: 12/11/2004 03:26PM

Greetings, I sailed a Halman 20 on Lake Superior for several years and found her to be quite stable, forgiving and fast for her short waterline. Because of her relatively flat bottom and broad beam, her initial stability is excellent as is the ultimate stability provided by her substantially ballasted full keel. One negative, caused by her flat entry, is that she will pound going directly to weather, especially under power. I fould the boat to be dry in all conditions. As for cruising speed, maintaining 4 to 5 knots on a reach or run should be achievable with the right canvas. A large, light drifter will be needed to maintain headway in light winds. Power: My Halman had a 6 hp outboard, but they were available with small single cylinder diesels. As for water/waste tankage, the Halmans were set up for porta potties and small flexible water tanks. Overall, I'd say with a few modifications the Halman 20 is up for an Atlantic crossing with the right Skipper. I'd love to find another one and trailer her south for the winter!!
Good Luck

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Rick Hall (IP Logged)
Date: 02/06/2005 01:36AM

Hello , I have sailed my little doublender Halman 20 for over a year in southern British Columbia ( Gulf Islands ) waters. Boat was designed and built as a fresh water vessel , boat in my opinion needs 100 to 150 lbs .of additional ballast to improve her stability due to different density of salt water , she needs to be submerged deeper in water by @ .5 ft , for transatlantic crossing the boat needs as you have mentioned reliable diesel engine , 2 cylinder Yanmar would be perfect replacement for any outboard motor.Outboards are useless in high swells . I wish you well with plans to make the crossing of Atlantic Ocean possible , if you have further questions e-mail me , Rick

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Martin Frank (IP Logged)
Date: 04/04/2005 06:45PM

i am buying a halman 20 to go across the gulfstream... am i nuts? will it do the journery to the bahamas?

let me know what you think?

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Date: 04/04/2005 06:45PM

i am buying a halman 20 to go across the gulfstream... am i nuts? will it do the journery to the bahamas?

Date: 04/04/2005 06:46PM

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Andy Fletcher (IP Logged)
Date: 03/21/2006 12:07PM

With an experienced captain and common sense, it can be done. Slocum did the whole east coast from south america to Maine in an open dory, so I imagine a relatively fully equiped sail could also. (In one episode from "Sailing alone around the World", he found himself in the midst of a storm on the Spray. He had to climb the mast has the boat had completely disappeared beneath the waves for a moment.)

One things for sure, if anyone knows the sea and boats, the Norwegians and Danes know thier stuff.

Andy

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Guy (IP Logged)
Date: 08/08/2006 04:28PM

Hi...do it! Stability is of no concern. Boat is designed to take it. I've sailed my Halman in all kinds of conditions. Had it at over 8 knots on a broad reach with crusing spi at 15-20m knot wind.
Granted with low water line it's a wet ride against breakers but ok if your're prapared with good foul weather gear. Had my Halman for 8 years and wouldn't part. Great to be out sailing when others are doubling their lines at the dock.

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Allan Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 09/16/2007 01:44PM

Just wondering if anyone knows the ce category for the Halman 20. Any info regarding
safety specs, such as capsize ratio, angle of vanishing, unsinkable, etc.. would be much appreciated. Thanx, Allan

Installation of a diesel engine in a Halman 20 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Ditchfield (IP Logged)
Date: 11/01/2009 10:01PM

Can anyone provide me with advice with the installation of a diesel engine in a Halman 20?

Thank you

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy HT Holman (IP Logged)
Date: 11/04/2009 08:07AM

You may want to put this question to the 162 members of the Nordica/Halman yahoo discussion group.
[groups.yahoo.com]
This is a group with a great deal of collective wisdom about the boats. There may be limited merit in opinions of those whose sailing experience is reading Slocum, potting about in lakes or experiencing a 3 to 4 foot swell. The Atlantic crossing should be a serious undertaking. Nordicas have crossed the Atlantic, and indeed a design very close to the Nordica has gone round the world. The experience and skill of the sailor is probably more important than the length of the waterline or the design of the hull.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy greg blanchette (IP Logged)
Date: 02/21/2010 04:33PM

Gad, don't go with the diesel. It's a tiny boat and the stowage space will be way more useful than a diesel would be. I sailed an 18-footer across the Pacific with no engine, only oars, and never regretted it, although i did wish for a small outboard when things went flat calm and it was just a few miles to the anchorage -- which happened a LOT.

The Halman is a good-sailing boat, so let it sail. It'll do the Atlantic just fine.

Re: Installation of a diesel engine in a Halman 20 (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Dudzik (IP Logged)
Date: 08/10/2010 10:36PM

Did you ever install a diesel in your Halman? Earlier this year I installed a BMW D7 in my Halman 21. It fits nicely and I like it better than when I had the outboard. I have info if you're interested.

Re: HALMAN 20 STABILITY (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy John k (IP Logged)
Date: 01/07/2011 10:53PM

I just got a halman20 and I love it !! I never sailed before this spring and she is a very stable boat and so forgiving !. I think the mast is from a nordica20 . It is half as thick . Is this ok?? so far i have gone 7.3 knots . And been in 65 km winds without any problem .
John

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 428
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.