Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Honda BF100 ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Bakody (IP Logged)
Date: 10/13/2004 07:11PM

Question: With cover off facing the engine (tiller side) there are two (2) yellow painted locking screws, the screw on the left hand side controls the position of a 'Y" shaped yoke that slides through the switch that stops the motor from staring in gear. Yes ? With the gear shift leaver in the "N" positon where is the lug positin setting in the gove, I suspect it should be flush with the flat surface on the forward side of the grove. As I do not have a repair manual, I would like to know the correct setting.

Note; I have found the name of the "The Man" on the web site who is most helpful
WRT to Honda outboards Less Lampman ( should double check name but will lose what i just typed) later. his readings WRT HP, souping up Honda's and maintenance are some the best I have read, not sure how to track him down but will continue. Of course i will trial my Honda which is really an 8 HP because rated HP back then was flywheel HP verus prop HP on new Honda's hmmm this leads me to believe a new Honda 8 HP with a high thrust prop would be more than i now currently have in my BF100. But....it is simple & cost effective to soup up the 9.9 Hondas to 13.5 HP and not damage the engine.....Having said this, it would not effect the performace at crusing speeds (5.5kts) on our Kelts but would provide a power bost if we shoud require it.....cost effect perhaps not but then again 8 max verus 9.9-13-5 for about 700 bucks for our sweetheart is not a big expense. Running engines in salt water verus fresh water may deminish the life of the motor, but with proper maintenance not a real issue here.

Re: Honda BF100 ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy pmoore (IP Logged)
Date: 10/30/2004 02:44AM

You can get a downloadable version of the BF-100 manual at:

[www.honda-marine.com];

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Allan Henson (IP Logged)
Date: 10/30/2004 05:31AM

Hi, I've just bought a Honda B100S, Serial No 1401680 could anyone tell me what year it is ?.
Cheers Allan

Date: 10/30/2004 01:20PM

I believe it would be a 1988

Date: 10/31/2004 05:24PM

Mr Moore;

Thanks to you and Affordable Yachting for the asssitance, it is greatly appreiciated. Although it did not specifically address my problem it helped in several other areas of interest. i was lucky to find another member with same motor, so i sneeked a peak at his setting and will make minor adjustments when I do my spring basin trials.

Here is some other info for consideration

The B75's (7.5 hp) were first, starting in 1973. They're completely white. The BF75 (7.5 hp) was an improved version of the B75 and started in 1978. The BF100 was introduced at the same time with bigger carb jets and different cam for 9.9 hp. In 1987 they started rating hp at the prop instead of the flywheel.

The BF75 was dropped (it puts out about 6 hp at the prop) and the BF100 was given the new designation of BF8 to reflect the 8 hp it put out at the prop. It is still available and the oldest continuous model in Honda's line up: 1978 to present.

With the BF100 (the 9.9 of the time) becoming an 8, Honda needed a new 9.9. That came in 1987. They engineered it as a 15 hp engine, the BF15, and detuned it by changing the cam and carb jets. When they did this they only got the engine down to 13.2 hp.

To keep the folks in lakes that require LESS THAN 10 hp legal and to legally go on boats rated at 10 hp they put a stop screw in the throttle bellcrank to limit rpm. That screw is there to protect the consumer, not Honda. Remember it's really a 15 hp-engineered engine. So if you remove the screw (which does NOT affect your warranty) you get the full rpm (still a little less than the 15) and get 13.2 hp.

So the differences between the BF100 & BF75 are carb jets and camshaft. The differences between the BF9.9 and the BF15 are also carb jets and camshaft. The peak torque of the 9.9 comes lower on the power curve than that of the 15 for more pushing power at lower rpm's. The marketing idea for the 9.9 is as main motors on sailboats and kickers on powerboats. The 15 is marketed toward main engines on small fiberglass and aluminum skiffs and inflatables

Now my new question, When the time comes to replace my good old BF 100 will the new Honda 8 HP High Thrust provide as much or more power than my old BF 100 ? WMT David

Date: 10/31/2004 10:26PM

Considering the new 8 is almost exactly the same as the new 9.9 (again allowing for carburation) and the BF100 was really an 8 (measured at the prop) one would think so. I'm absolutely no expert but I've been researching this myself as I'm also looking to replace a BF100.

Current comparisons:

Technical Specifications
BF8
MOTOR
Type 4-Stroke SOHC 2 Cylinder/4 Valves
Displacement 222 cc (13.5 cubic inches)
Bore & Stroke 58 mm x 42 mm (2.2 x 1.6 inches)
Full Throttle RPM Range 4,500-5,500 RPM
Rated Power 8 HP @ 5,000 RPM
Cooling System Water Cooled
Fuel Delivery 1 Carburetor
Ignition System PGM-IG
Starting System Manual Recoil
Exhaust Through Prop

Technical Specifications
BF9.9
MOTOR
Type 4-Stroke SOHC 2 Cylinders/4 Valves
Displacement 222 cc (13.5 cubic inches)
Bore & Stroke 58 mm x 42 mm (2.3 x 2.1 inches)
Full Throttle RPM Range 5,000-6,000 RPM
Rated Power 9.9 HP @ 5,500 RPM
Cooling System Water Cooled
Fuel Delivery 1 Carburetor
Ignition System PGM-IG
Starting System Electric/Recoil
Exhaust Through Prop

Re: Honda BF100 ( ) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Lars (IP Logged)
Date: 01/26/2005 07:56PM

Is it possible to soup up my Honda 8hp (1996) to 10hp? And if yes, how is it done?
I also have a 9,9hp but they are both 197cc, so what's the difference?

Thanks, Lars

Date: 02/20/2005 05:40PM

Lars:

Overview, from old marie engineer.......

All engines are designed to a specific HP that are sold to the puplic. Most if not all are underpowered for a. safety b. design considerations and c. waranty. This topic has always been discussed around the old Ford,Chev & Chysler big block tables for years God Love em all. The regulations placed on the boating industry forced manufactures to provide their loyal customers with a good product within the set guidlines. Some companys de-powered 15 HP's while others overpowered 8 HP's and some re-designed due to fact it was time for new model and jump on the 4 stroke popularity. By the way 2 stoke engines are a good performing engines and in most applications out preform 4 stoke engines. As an old engineer who still to-day just loves working on machinery and finding ways to improve perormance i have learned it is very important that maintenance, proper operating procedures, knowing your engine, talking to to other owners and treating your motor with TLC may save your life in blow for a quick start situation. Once you have these priorities straight then you can go for better performance and know the limits and what was done. Here is some information from a talented man I found on the web........his credit

The old (blue & white) Honda BF75 and BF100 were essentially the same engine with the aforementioned changes in cam and carb. The 'new' Honda BF9.9 and BF15 are an entirely different design. Furthermore, the old BF100 is still made and now marketed as the BF8. Prior to about 1988 the horsepower was designated by the FLYWHEEL horsepower, after that, it was designated by available horsepower at the PROP; thus the old BF100 really put about 8HP at the prop.

There is no economical or practical way I know of to hop-up the old BF100 (at least not in the way of parts swaps). The new BF9.9 actually puts out 13.2HP (at the prop). It is limited to 9.9HP (for legal reasons on small inland lakes requiring "less than 10HP") by a stop screw in the throttle system. Removal of this screw gives you 13.2 HP engine with a power curve that puts the max torque a little lower in the power band as compared to the BF15.

Various props can be used on the Hondas. There are several available thru Honda and Michigan Prop. Size depends on what you're trying to accomplish. The props are all the same (from a fit standpoint) for the BF75, the BF100 and the BF8. They are quite different for the BF9.9/15 as it uses thru-the-hub exhaust.

Les Lampman (the Honda Dealer)

Good Luck,David

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy steve (IP Logged)
Date: 07/17/2005 10:28PM

if the BF9.9 is a detuned BF15 then why is it 10 pounds lighter on the Honda web page ?
I have a BF100 and appreciate the explaination. I wondered why my extremely reliable -quiet-efficient Honda was kind of weak.
Its really an EIGHT Horse !

Re: Honda BF100 ( ) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Nancy (IP Logged)
Date: 08/09/2005 01:34PM

I've got a Honda B100S with serial number 1501598. Know what year that is?

Date: 08/17/2005 11:24AM

Weight of engines.....I have found that the wieght tables appear to vary my new maintenance book states 95 lbs for my newer motor and I know it is closer to 125 lbs. All are not the same but those with carbarator changes only 9.9 & 15 HP appear in most part to be same, having said that you would have to rent a lifting type scale to find out, not sure if I have ever heard anyone do it. This I know for sure and i will bet a beer on it, younger stonger men ( son-in-law ) find them very light to throw around and this ode sailor needs help. Cheers David

Date: 08/17/2005 11:47AM

Nancy;

Do not even try to figure the serial number out, each company has their own designation of numbers and to make matters worst they change them with new production models. Bascically the ser # incorportates all the required info the sales person needs to give you a price ie; lengh of shaft, electric start , and the model year which usually is the first year of production and sequential numbers. All of course do not use the same system.....To find out you will have to go to your local Honda service dealer and asks the parts person, good luck because I have found through experience they are not sure either, having said that they are good at getting the correct part. Cheers David

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 08/27/2005 03:40PM

Recently pulled my old B100s out of the shed to put it on small aluminum fishing boat I'm giving to my dad. The moter started OK but I think the carb needs tuning
Monkeyed around with the two set screws could not get it to idle and accelerate right. Does anyone know how to adjust set screwws on carb.

thanks jim

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Rod (IP Logged)
Date: 10/02/2005 12:43PM

This is the most info I have found on old Hondas. I have a BF75 and BF 100 mid 80's vintage. Great motors. How do I locate seals and water pump impellers for them? Local Honda dealer doesn't want to talk about that vintage of parts. Great local service.

Thanks
Rod

Date: 11/30/2005 09:47PM

Set Screws:

First the good news is getting the motor started. There are two set screws idle set screw it is adjusted against a small plate that maintains the idle when the throttle is turned to slow idle speed. To set this screw start the motor and place in forward gear and adjust until the motor sounds good running slow but does not stall, then put in neutral and to see how fast the motor runs, there should be slight rev increase but not much. Note: 1/4 turns at a time and note the clock position of the screw. When you are happy with the idle speed, put in gear close off the high speed screw ( the only other one) until you notice the motor starts to stall then open one full turn and start to rev up if motor starts to stall adjust screw open then close from the position you noticed stalling. The motor should run at a nice sound at high speeds. If this does not cure the problem there may be some adjustment on the lingage to allow further adjustments. Note; do not baby the clutch snap it up or down in the shift position. Once the high speed is set there should be no need of adjustment. Good luck.......

Re: Honda BF100 ( ) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy scott (IP Logged)
Date: 01/06/2006 11:54PM

Hey, I have a question, I bought a 2002 honda 8hp xl shaft off a buddy of mine, I changed the prop on it to a high thrust. It doesn't have the HT lower end. This summer when I was on my way back down the coast we ran into some headwind and some heavy seas and the motor could not keep the boat up to speed like my old merc 2 stoke did. Could it be because I changed the prop to a HT and it doesn't have the gearing in the lower end to make up for it? It is pushing a C&C 25 . Do you think I should just change it back to the original prop?

Thanks for any help

Scotty

Re: Honda BF100 ( ) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Date: 01/14/2006 05:01PM

Scott:

In a word yes ! there is more to High Trust (HT) other than just changing the prop, it has more to do with the bottom end gearing. Props are expensive so speak with the parts people at your local dealership as they are more familiar. Also you might check on line for what is available for sale ( New ) this is a good way to find out what is available because if it is stocked and for sale for your particular engine model there is a good chance is has a use. Honda's are good engines, I have since sold mine on line and bought a Yamaha 9.9 HT on line rather than fool around with props fro my particular requirement.

Cheers

David

Re: Honda BF75 70's or 80's vintage (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Steve DeMuri (IP Logged)
Date: 08/20/2006 02:00AM

Hi all.

I have a blue and white Honda BF75 4 stroke which runs very rough. It stalls often and will hardly run at full throttle. It backfires alot. I assume the mixture is too rich. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get this motor running right?

Thank you!!

Re: Honda BF75 70's or 80's vintage (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy hib (IP Logged)
Date: 08/27/2006 10:11PM

try this

[www.boats.net];

Re: Honda BF75 70's or 80's vintage (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David (IP Logged)
Date: 10/23/2006 01:27PM

I just bought a used BF75 and it starts, but when it starts to rev high, it cuts out. I took apart the carb and cleaned, looks good and functional. Spark plugs are good, I think as the previous owner said that she replaced them. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks,

David

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
André, Charles (S2 27), Daniel L., Flagman101, Foxtail, J-F (Hunter 28), Jacques P, Jonathan, Michel-G26, Pascal, Pierre ODay34, Sugata, Tyden75, Yves JULIEN, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, mjoncas, pl, pourvoyeur, robert fragasso, skadi, stooker, torngats
+ Online Guests: 494
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.