Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill (IP Logged)
Date: 05/27/2004 12:46PM

I purchased an Independent 20 Sloop in 2002 and have been unable to obtain any info.on this sailboat.

I understand that they were made near Montreal, Quebec. A total of 50 were made.

Any info you have and pics would be much appreciated. Also I you own one your comments woulod be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Re: Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Lee Grant (IP Logged)
Date: 09/25/2007 02:00PM

Hi Bill.
If you still have this boat I may have more info for you.
I am from Hudson Quebec.I purchased one(Sail#38) 3 summers ago from the original owner and the family that produced the boat lives in Hudson as well.They designed the Independant 20 and the Formula 21.
The boat is tender, but when set up well is quite fast. It has a higher PERF rating than a Tanzer 22, and is quite well built. One of the original brothers raced a 20 agressively and did extremely well around the Montreal area. It is light, and points very well. The interior is well thought out for a small boat like this. When I purchased it, I had the hull repaired in one spot, and the keel aligned. The rudder is teak, and was still in excellent condition. I had the carpenter who made the original rudders look at it and together we determined a slightly better shape, lengthened it and coated it with epoxy. The sails were excellent, and showed very little wear. I have two main sails that were never used, and are as if they just came from Fogh. If you need any help, with parts or info, email me at your convenience.

Re: Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill (IP Logged)
Date: 02/07/2008 09:19AM

Lee,

It's been a while since my original e-mail

I live in St.Lazare.

Any info. regarding replacement parts would be appreciated.

If you have any pics of your Independant, plse e-mail.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy dale hamilton (IP Logged)
Date: 01/22/2009 04:16PM

hello lee grant , i'm looking for a new main sail for my independent 20. would you like to sell one of your unused mainsails. i see that you are currently listing your boat for sale on kijiji.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Francis Mailhot (IP Logged)
Date: 04/20/2009 09:39AM

I guys,
I also own an independant 20' Sloop, I was wandering if any of you would have the specifications sheet of the sail boat. Lenght,beam, draft, air draft and so on.

Francis Mailhot
Québec

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Monique Renaud (IP Logged)
Date: 04/26/2009 05:10PM

Hi,
My spouse purchased a Formula 21 in 1980 (made by Independent Yachts) and we are considering selling it.
The Formula 21 is a bit more sleek than it's little sister, the Independent 20.
The boat had been bought and has not been sailed since 1981...
Reason for sale: the owner is really a dingy sailor and never got used to sailing a keelboat.
The boat is located at our home in Hudson, Quebec.
Trailer will be included.

More info available upon request.

Monique Renaud

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy JOHNSSON (IP Logged)
Date: 05/09/2009 10:43AM

DOES THE 20'INDEPENDANT HAVE A FIXED KEEL AND WHAT IS DRAFT
OR IS IT KEEL CENTERBOARD WHAT IS THE DRAFT BOAT UP OR BOARD DOWN?
YOUR HELPFUL ANSWERS APPRECIATED.
LOOKING AT ONE IN CLEARWATER FLORIDA
jonssn@tampabay.rr.com

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Archie Smith (IP Logged)
Date: 06/21/2010 09:17PM

Does anyone know the weight of an Indepenent 20?

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Anton D. (IP Logged)
Date: 12/23/2010 09:14AM

You can get more infor on the independent 20 on this site:

««www.sailboatdata.com»»

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy francois bo (IP Logged)
Date: 01/22/2011 04:17PM

hello, i have owned an Independent for two years now. as a novice i have found the boat easy to sail. i don't have any literature on the boat, but would like to obtain any that is available. i am also considering repairing and refinishing the hull this winter and would appreciate any advice in this regard

Re: Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy William Beauregard (IP Logged)
Date: 09/19/2016 04:35PM

Hey everyone!
A friend just gave me an old Independent 20! Gotta give it some love...
So happy to get some info about this boat whit this forum! I'll come back with some pictures of my work! I would be happy to get your advices!!

William, Québec

Re: Independent 20 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Folkeyguy (IP Logged)
Date: 01/24/2017 06:14PM

[sailboatdata.com] Info on the I20

I just bought an 1982 Independent 20. I have never sailed but am anxious to learn. Mine is keel with centerboard. I understand they are fast and have won races, not sure how it handles in rough water. I'm a retired ex commercial fisher so i'm used to that.

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 428
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.