Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy mike jones (IP Logged)
Date: 04/07/2009 09:36PM

Hi Justin. I bought a 19 from your Dad in 88 and I have a bad leak into the bilge from the centerboard trunk. Any tips e mailed would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Mike Jones.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David (IP Logged)
Date: 04/24/2009 04:31PM

I just found this site. Bought a 1984 Islands 17 in 1999, could find NOTHING about it, Ocean Yachts or Sumner Boats. As of now this is what I have learned, The Island 17 is basically a copy of a Tanzer 16, was built with a yellow hull during the 70's (maybe even late 60's, hull ID #'s were not required until 1972) by Ocean Yachts. From @1979 to 1988????? it was built with a white hull, new interior (which fills up with rain water), colored sails from Hard (out of business naturally) by Sumner Boat Works. I have drawings of the rigging from Dwyer Aluminum Masts that were "redrawn" as late as 1993. I have 3 sales brochures all listing Ocean Yachts as the builder, one stating that it was the 3rd year of production and every year it's 200 boat capacity has been sold out, the tiller/rudder suck, the old Sumner Boat Works is now the home of The Dinghy Shop and there seems to have been 12,15 and 19 models of unknown origin. Any new facts or ideas???

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Frederick Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 05/26/2009 11:56AM

Hi Joe -

I saw your posting about a Sumner Islands 15 and could use any information you have about rigging the mainsail sheet. The boat was pretty much taken apart when I bought it very used last year, and now is about ready for a trial run, but I don't know what the rigging setup should be. My boom has two aft pullies separated by about one foot, and so does the centerboard console. With that rigging type of mechanical advantage, I assume it does not need a boom vang, just a tie-down at the tack of the sail?

Any information you have would be appreciated. Do you have a picture of your boat rigged?

Frederick Brown

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Andrew bowes (IP Logged)
Date: 06/01/2009 06:13PM

I have an islands 12 with both sails,original rudder gone would like to see what original looked like. Any info would be great Thanks Andy

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Andrew (IP Logged)
Date: 06/02/2009 06:49AM

Joe could you send me the rudder info on the Sumner?

Re: island 17 centerboard ( ) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Light sail)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy adam (IP Logged)
Date: 06/03/2009 01:31PM

Hi im restoring an 1973 islands 17 does anyone know if these boats have a water ballast under the deck because the one i have is half way filled with water and the plug is set in the hull above that chamber. if you can e-mail me any info on this boat it would be great its going in the water over the next week. please e-mail me with any and all info. pinsky03@gmail.com thanks.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy marie crowder (IP Logged)
Date: 06/08/2009 08:30PM

Justin,I have a sumner dinghy sailboat. I would like to know if you have your grandfathers manual for this boat. I have had it in my yard for 4 years and have gotten it seaworthy. I am a novice, even though my father sailed a 26 ft. pearson, probably spelled wrong. I just want to get back on the water and need your assistance. I have a sumner model #8. I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you, Mare @ mdurfee@aol.com.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Larry Thompson (IP Logged)
Date: 08/06/2009 08:03AM

Hi, I recently was given a Islands 15. However, it has no sails and I will obviously need to get a set. Can you share any information on sail specs, rigging, or any other pertinent information you might have on the Islands 15. Is there any web site specializing in parts for them? The boat is missing a few small plugs and odds and ends.

I'm fairly new to the sailing community having only sailed JY's and a few Lasers. Yet, I have grand plans for this boat if I can get it up and flying.

Blessings, Larry Thompson

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy richard and gus (IP Logged)
Date: 08/11/2009 08:56PM

Hello!

I, Richard, sail with my Uncle on his Island 17 at Long Beach Island, NJ. I don't know how long he has been sailing the boat, but judging by the oldest ramp permit on the trailer, it has been 32 years at least.

Yesterday, after a great afternoon sail on the bay, I noticed the cable for the center board was frayed and down to about 1/2 the diameter where it passes into the trunk.

We careened the boat at a beach to plan a repair. No access to the cable attachment to the board from below without removeing the board. We looked under the woodcover to the board truck - no access. We looked in the access ports on the side of the trunk - no access, but I guess the pivot pin is there under the fiberglass.

Is there anyway or trick to get to the cable on the centerboard to replace it short of cutting out the pivot pin to drop the board and replacing and refiberglassing?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy George McQueeney (IP Logged)
Date: 08/20/2009 01:06PM

I have an Island 15 hull # SBC50060C585. I have the mast,boom,rudder but no sails. It seems to be in good condition but dirty. I acquired it a couple of years ago with the notion of learning to sail but that has not happened so I would like to sell it. It is located in Guilford, CT. Please contact me on my e-mail address. gvm@eastriverenergy.com. George

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy alice sachse (IP Logged)
Date: 11/09/2009 10:44AM

I have a 1986 islands 17 in great shape it has not seen much water time it was bought new in 1986 it was used one summer and put in dry storage for 11 years thats where my late husband found it and bought it in 1997 since then we have only put it in the water 10-12 times the last time it saw water was 2001 my husband was disabled and I did the setting of the sails I'm not a sailor by any means but he enjoyed it so much we went out when ever he was able (not much)he passed away two years ago and I would like to sell it but I don't know what it's worth any ideas it has its original sunset sails yellow jib and are not torn or worn anywhere it has a shore lander trailer any interest out there call me at 802-626-3452 or email me at sachsealice@gmail.com

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Penn (IP Logged)
Date: 06/03/2010 02:38PM

Hi Justen,

I had an Island 12 for many years then it was stolen. It broke my heart. Never did recover it ... the boat that is. I stumbled onto your message while searching for your family boatworks. It was my hope that I could get another Island ... 15 or 19. But you say all the molds are destroyed. Any chance you know where I could locate one of these boats?

If you are up for it, please revive Sumner boat works. You all made such wonderful boats.

Hope to hear from you. Fair winds and clear skies. )))

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill Taggart (IP Logged)
Date: 06/08/2010 10:03AM

I have seen Islands 17's come up on various Craig's lists from time to time. That's how I acquired mine just a few weeks ago.

Do some Googling and look at boat listings on Craig's lists. For searching across many Craig's lists at once, check out SearchTempest.

- Bill T.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill Taggart (IP Logged)
Date: 06/08/2010 10:49AM

By the way, there is another thread on the Islands 17 at [forums.voileabordable.com]

I posted this information at that thread, and figure it can't hurt to have it here also:

I did a bunch of Googling, and for those of you (like me) who need to make a new rudder, here is what you need:

[www.clal.ca]

[www.clal.ca]

What you will find there is a PDF file of a large technical drawing of a Tanzer 16. The Islands 17 apparently was a very close copy of the Tanzer 16, and from what I have found, the rudder designs are identical.

I also found an Islands 17 owner on the web, and he was kind enough to send me photos of his original rudder, with a tape measure next to it, from which I was able to see that it is indeed just like the rudder on the Tanzer 16. The Islands 17 rudder might be just a couple inches longer to the bottom point, but that's about it.

The rudder is 3/16" aluminum sandwiched between marine plywood.

The Tanzer 16 site, which also has a little info about the Islands 17, is [www.clal.ca]. You'll find that much of what he says about the Tanzer 16 applies equally to the Islands 17.

This also will be helpful to you:

[www.rvharvey.com]

That is a PDF of the original Islands 17 "owner's manual," such as it is. It does describe how to set up the rigging, and gives some specs on the boat, but it's short on lots of detail.

I'm planning on putting together a website with all the information I can find about the Islands 17, because I have yet to find one. So I figure I might as well put one together. When I finally get it together, I'll post a link.

- Bill Taggart
- Richmond, VA, USA

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Ralph V Harvey (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2010 02:10PM

I am restoring a Sumner Islands 17 and have a page on this boat on my website www.rvharvey.com/boatstuff.htm

Ralph Harvey

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy kvancamp (IP Logged)
Date: 06/18/2016 12:20AM

Hi, I've owned my Islands 19 for about 5 years and I love the boat. I just found this forum and was wondering if anyone is still out there following this thread? Most of the year I sail "Bright Eyes" on Lake Nockamixon, Pennsylvania, but usually once a season I trailer her to the Chesapeake Bay for a 3 or 4 day weekend of cruising. I enhanced the cabin for cruising, building a galley and hanging locker and wiring in an electrical system. I'll be happy to share photos with anyone that is interested.

I keep a blog where I write occasionally about my sailing adventures aboard her: http://followthewake.blogspot.com/.

Ken

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Charles (S2 27), Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 427
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.