Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Alan Hall (IP Logged)
Date: 01/16/2008 09:30PM

I turtled at the end of the season and got the mast stuck in the bottom. I had to leave it over night and didn't remove the rudder. Next day it wasn't there and the clip was bent. Now I am looking for a replacement (which is a long shot). I'm hoping that another Islands 15 owner can trace their rudder so I have a template to work from when fabricating a new one. Any suggestions are welcome.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Denise (IP Logged)
Date: 02/17/2008 12:05PM

Came across this site while Googling around. I just bought an old Islands 17 this past fall. Weather hasn’t been cooperative so I haven’t taken her out yet, but she looks to be in good shape. She’s my first boat and I’m still learning about her. Fortunately I know several people with Tanzer 16s, so they’re a big help.

The guy I bought it from had the original ‘owners manual’ (though I haven’t really looked through it - it's around here somewhere :) If I can find it :) I can make copies for anyone who wants one.

Unfortunately the previous owner had the rudder remade out of aluminum – I didn’t realize they originally came with tilt-ups. Did anyone ever decide if one from a Tanzer would fit?

Anyway, glad to know I’m not the only out here. Will probably need all the help I can get.

Oh - and has anyone replaced the rub rail? The wooden was was in pretty bad shape so I've decided to replace it with rubber, but am having difficulty deciding which is the proper style.

-- Denise --
Raleigh, NC

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy mike jones (IP Logged)
Date: 03/19/2008 06:14PM

Hi Justin, I bought an Islands 19 new from your dad in 1988.I'm having a problem with the bilge filling with water. The boat yard couldn't find any structual problems and thry suggested that rain water was seeping down between the skins from the ports. The inside of the boat is dry. We also replaced the hull plug.The centerboard cowl seems intact. Any clues? Thanks, Mike Jones.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 ( ) (Boat maintenance) ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mike Jones (IP Logged)
Date: 03/21/2008 03:56PM

Hi Patrick, You can add our 19, "Matilda" to your fleet. Cheers, Mike Jones.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gordon Hoyte (IP Logged)
Date: 05/23/2008 06:36PM

Just received the Island 17 of which my Father bought new in 1976,I have no idea if this site has any active members left but he left me some of the information that he was talking to everybody about.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy philip t. (IP Logged)
Date: 06/01/2008 09:23PM

Hi Paul,
I just happened to come across your post offering literature on Islands 15. Since the post was from 2004, I dont know if you are still in a position to do this, but if you are I would appreciate anything you might have on the 15's
Thank You

Philip Tourdot

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy michael l taylor (IP Logged)
Date: 06/07/2008 02:34PM

i am about to buy the islands 19 it is pretty good shape how much should i pay for it. its a 90

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy J Doll (IP Logged)
Date: 07/04/2008 03:38PM

I bought my Islands 17 1974 about six years ago and paid $950 USD. Very solid boat with some gelcoat crazing and ugly black repaint job on bottom. Sails very nicely with jib and main. I've been watching ebay for used genoas with anywhere under a 17 foot luff. Has anybody tried non-custom headsails for this boat? I would like to get a larger headsail.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mark Searles (IP Logged)
Date: 07/29/2008 11:25AM

Hi out there! Has anyone made a web site for the Sumner Sailboats Yet? I am looking for info. I have an Islands 15 that has been nothing but wonderful. Is there anybody out there?

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Garry Moore (IP Logged)
Date: 08/05/2008 05:18PM

Hello Justin
Came across you post and would love to know more about the history of your family's boat company. We just bought a 1988 Islands 17 and like it a lot. No owners manual but all appears to be original. Any info or sources would be much appreciated. My in-laws have a place on Moriches Bay and we plan to sail there sometime soon.
Thanks for the shout out to all the curious Sumner Boat owners among us.
Garry Moore
Bridgewater, NJ

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Don Wesley (IP Logged)
Date: 08/05/2008 10:49PM

Does anyone know what the the line on top of the centerboard trunk goes to?
The up-down adjuster is on the starboard side correct?

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Frederick Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 08/11/2008 06:48AM

I just acquired a Sumner 15 and have been looking for any information about it from anyone before I launch it. Right now it sits on a trailer. The boat has two lines into the drop-keel center console, one top-forward and the other port-forward. Aft of the port-side rigging a little stenciled "raise" sign was pasted. I pulled on that rope and the centerboard did raise while the top-side rope receded into its hole. The top line is quite short while the port line is pulleyed and needs some strength to raise the drop keel. The lines look original and I have no idea how to get at the keel to replace them.
Does anyone have information that they would share with me about the Sumner 15? The goose-neck for the boom is missing and has to be replaced. The tiller was missing, so I made one 36-inches long. What is the standard tiller length for this boat. Also, the boat has no boom vang -- or does it really need one? I had to replace about 50 broken rivets along the rub rails on both sides.
One last thing: The boom is 9 feet long. Is this the correct boom for this boat?
Any information will be helpful, so thanks in advance.
Frederick Brown
State College, PA

Re: SUMNER Dinghy (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Russ Okrent (IP Logged)
Date: 08/24/2008 10:11AM

Hi Justen,

Just picked up a Sumner 8' dinghy in Babylon and was looking for a new sail. Do you know of any dealers who has them in stock or do I need to have a custom sail made? Thanks for trying to help us all out!

Russ

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy John Dunning (IP Logged)
Date: 09/21/2008 09:35PM

I have a Sumner Islands 19. I have owned it since 2001. I love the boat! I went from a Sunfish to this boat, and enjoy sailing it in Gardiners Bay and the Long Island Sound. It is a great sailing boat. It occasionally leaks around the trunion bolt, but that is common with swing keels. When I pull it for the year, I plan to jack it up and pull the keel to try and reseal the bolt.

I would love to know some of the history of The Sumner Boat Company. It seams there is enough of us to justify a website. I have had some experience maintaining this boat. If anyone has questions, post them here.

John Dunning
East Hampton, NY

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 15 (Anyone have a rudder or plans for one?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Joe (IP Logged)
Date: 09/29/2008 08:13PM

I have one.
Joe

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jason (IP Logged)
Date: 11/16/2008 11:09AM

I have a 1990 Islands 19 "FRY" and have been sailing it for 5 years out of Pultneyville, NY on Lake Ontario. I would love to join a fleet if one exists.

-Jason

Re: Islands 12/15 owners (Boat maintenance) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy MICHAEL (IP Logged)
Date: 12/27/2008 01:18PM

HEY JUSTIN,
I WORKED AT SUMNER FOR A YEAR OR SO BEFORE I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL. IT WAS JUST ABOUT THE TIME YOUR DAD WAS PLANNING TO TAKE OVER FOR ARTHUR. I HAVE AN ENGINEERING DEGREE MYSELF AND I REMEMBER JON TELLING ME THAT HE HAD ONE AS WELL AND ALSO AN MD. IS THAT ALL CORRECT?? A LOT OF PEOPLE PASSED THROUGH THE COMPANY ON THEIR WAY TO SOMEWHERE ELSE. I HAVE ONLY GREAT MEMORIES OF MY TIME THERE. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT EVENTUALLY HAPPENED TO THE PLACE AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE PEOPLE. SUCH AS YOUR DAD, GRANDFATHER BOB PETERS THE FOREMAN. I THINK YOUR GRANDFATHER WOULD HAVE TO BE NEARLY 100 YEARS OLD. I USED TO TRAVEL WITH HIM TO BOAT SHOWS. IT WAS A FUN TIME FOR ME!!!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Wanda Freeman (IP Logged)
Date: 01/24/2009 05:39PM

Justen Sumner, if you are still out there, please reply!
We just bought a 1987 Sumner Islands 18'8" and have no information on it. Does your family have any records, old owners manuals etc., or a way to get specs?
We are sailing novices and don't know the draft of the boat (a concern because we have shallow sailing waters near us) or how to rig it. It has been sitting unattended in the previous owner's yard for years.
Thanks for any information you can give us!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jason (IP Logged)
Date: 01/26/2009 08:42PM

I'm Thinking about selling my 1990 Islands 19,2002 4HP 4Stroke Long shaft Nissan Outboard and trailer. Great Condition. Complete. Ready to sail. The boat is at Pultneyville, NY on Lake Ontario. Email mr@fahy.com if you want to know more.

-Jason

Re: Parts for a Sumner 12 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy george morrill (IP Logged)
Date: 03/06/2009 11:09PM

were you able to get any information about attaching the boom to the mast. I just purchased a 1981 Sumner sprite 12. I did see an assembly that looks similar to the piece on the boat I just purchased. let me know if you are still looking. I know your post is quite old.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Christian (THALASSA), Daniel L., Dede_M25, Denis K850, Flagman101, Foxtail, Guillaume C., Jonathan, Patrice, ZeGrizzly, ceduluxe, claude calva, denis gregoire, jproy, lionel cormier, luman, maubeche, torngats
+ Online Guests: 469
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.