Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Islands17 Rigging (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy dawn simmons (IP Logged)
Date: 05/31/2006 02:09PM

Well you sound as green as I do about this sail boat. My neighbor gave me theirs for cutting their grass and I'm nearly ready to launch it within the next couple of weeks. This is an old post so I'm not sure where you are with your boating skills yet.

Re: Islands17 Rigging (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy joel shaw (IP Logged)
Date: 06/02/2006 05:48PM

Hi All,

I have a Islands 17 and have had it for over a year.
She is a sturdy boat and fun to sail. I keep her moored in Provincetown.
I had the rudder rebuilt this winter by a wooden boat shop in Bristol R.I.
Dwyer Masts made the mast and boom and has a whole of fitting...
Once I launch her, I will measure for a new head sail. The one that came with it is rather small.
Any info you can share would be appreciated.
My best,
Joel

Tanzer 16 rudder (Trics, ideas and gadgets)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy El (IP Logged)
Date: 06/03/2006 05:23PM

I understand that our Tanzer 16 is the prototype of the Islands 17. For the first time in 8 seasons, when someone unfamiliar with the boat was sailing it, the rudder popped off and fell in the drink. Although we were able to retrieve it at low tide, we'd like to attach a safety line to make sure that doesn't happen again. Has anyone done this? If so, what was your approach? how did it work? Our tanzer is close to 30 years old, and in great shape!

El

islands 17 centerboard trunk ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy scott lane (IP Logged)
Date: 06/05/2006 07:55PM

i want to remove my cneterboard or at least checke the connections and rigging to make sure it's doing the right thing. nyone had one apart before? maybe have a diagram of pivots connection points and proper rigging?

Re: islands 17 centerboard trunk ( ) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Geoffrey Carlson (IP Logged)
Date: 06/06/2006 03:28PM

i just purchased an oceans 17 and can find very little info on it can you send me a picture of your boat so i can see if it is the same model?...Ps i do not have the origional rudder but the rest is origional

Re: islands 17 centerboard trunk ( ) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Geoffrey Carlson (IP Logged)
Date: 06/06/2006 03:36PM

jim i sure could use that diagram of the oceans 17 rudder i just purchased one and the rudder on it is nothing like the ones i have heard described here... so i would like to build a new one...thanx geoff

Re: island 17 rudder ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Brent (IP Logged)
Date: 06/17/2006 10:38AM

I have an island 17 that my father gave me. It is in good shape but is missing the rudder. Jim, do you think I could use that diagram of the rudder also? Also does anyone know where I could get a set of used sails or a vender that sells new sails for the idland 17.

Thanks,
Brent

Re: island 17 centerboard ( ) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy EJ Fraser (IP Logged)
Date: 06/24/2006 11:00PM

Hi Scott, I have tried to to get at the pivots of the centerboard on my 17 with the intention of replacing it with a heavier keel-centerboard.. the trunk is sealed except for the pulley ports. The pivot points for the centerboard could be acessible from below.... i am trying to put the boat on stands to check this. I am also looking for informatio on the correct method of water ballasting this boat for different conditions. (The heavier keel centerboard idea is an attempt to find an alternative to waterballasting) If this info is available please let me know.
regards
ej

Posted by: F : Capitaine de corvette (capc) | E: Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Patrick(PY23) (IP Logged)
Date: 06/27/2006 04:19PM

I own an Islands 19 and i am thinking about the same idea (water ballast or heavier centerboard) first, i don't think the trunk is strong enough to handle a heavier centerboard (a steel one for exemple) for this, the centerboaard trunk coul have to be strenghtened a lot, and a winch should be installed to handle the heavier centerboard..

for the water ballast, i don't know the 17, but the 19 have a sufficient space under the cockpit floor to install some 4 to 6 inches flexible tubing that can be filled with 2 to 3 hundred pounds of water. (it could be the easiest may to do)
theses tube could be strapped together , one on each side of centerboard trunk.

e.g. a 10 feet by 4 inches tubing will hold about 52 pounds of water
a 12 feet by 6 inches tubing will hold 140 pounds of water

I tried filling the boat bottom with about 4 inches of water, and effectively it handle a lot better on rough (relatively) sea

An other solution could be to fasten a salmon shaped ballast under the hull ( like on many other boats)

Posted by: F : Capitaine de corvette (capc) | E: Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Patrick(PY23) (IP Logged)
Date: 06/29/2006 10:41AM

I found this interresting link about water ballasting, it looks like the teknology of the future

[www.eskimo.com];

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Terri (IP Logged)
Date: 07/05/2006 04:02PM

I just bought a 1975 Island Day Sailer. According to old Dave at American Sail, I think I have a Sumner Boat. They went out of business 10 years ago. I can make measurements and send to you.
Let me know

Islands 12/15 owners (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy sean saslo (IP Logged)
Date: 07/31/2006 03:11PM

We have both an Islands 12 and a 15 and wonder if anyone has anything as far as paperwork on them.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Justen Sumner (IP Logged)
Date: 05/25/2007 01:05AM

Hey Everyone,
Just stumbled onto your message board by chance. My name is Justen Sumner, my father, Jonathan and his dad, Arthur ran Sumner Boat Company back in the day. Unfortunetly all the molds have been destroyed from the Sumner line. The factory in Amityville, NY is currently inhabited by Menger Boat Works and The Dinghy Shop. Feel free to shoot out any questions!

Parts for a Sumner 12 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Johnny Esau (IP Logged)
Date: 07/04/2007 07:49PM

I have a 1975 Sumner 12. I have a gooseneck on the boom, but I need a part on the mast for the gooseneck to go into. Does anyone know of a site that sells Sumner Sailboat Parts?

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul (IP Logged)
Date: 07/11/2007 04:10PM

I am new to sailing and came across an island 17 at a great price. It will need some TLC and some parts like a mast step and rudder. does anyone have a manual for this boat or can you point me in the direction of someone that can help get this sailboat up and running?

Thanks

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Gary Mc (IP Logged)
Date: 07/26/2007 08:58PM

Question for JUSTEN SUMNER---
Hi Justen...Very cool to see that you are related to the builders of these VERY well made boats! I own a Sumner 12 which is actually a rowing Dinghy. The boat is a 1988 and has the gunwales that are wooden (I think Mahagany). I am restoring the boat. It has Oarlock Sockets that are pressed into the gunwale which are chrome plated brass (1/2 ID). Is there any posibility that there are still some of these little pieces (or any other old surplus) still around???
Thanks-
Gary (PA) 7/26/07

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 12 Need rudder (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bill Scholl (IP Logged)
Date: 08/08/2007 10:30AM

I need a replacement rudder for my Islands 12 Sumner boat made in Amityville Long Island. The spacing between the pins is 9 inches. Any suggestions?

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mrsnib (IP Logged)
Date: 09/11/2007 07:56PM

I have a Sumner Sprite and am looking for info.If anyone has some to share that would be great!

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Scott (IP Logged)
Date: 10/29/2007 07:13PM

:hello:
Avast ye mates,
I have just recently acquired an Islands 15 as a gift from a friend. It requires some refurbishment but is otherwise seaworthy. I, like the rest of you folks, could use any paperwork; brochures, manuals, parts lists or even pictures that would guide me in the restoration of this fine sailing vessel. Please if you have any such items email me at: scott@renaissancenetworks.net

Thanks in advance.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 ( ) (Boat maintenance) (Light sail) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Kevin Burke (IP Logged)
Date: 11/26/2007 07:07PM

I purchased an island 17 in poor shape which included a tiller in worse shape. If you could help me with any designs and where to find pintles,gungions(?sp). and any commercialy avaible tillers. Thanks for your time.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Charles (S2 27), Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 427
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.