Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Capitaine de corvette (capc) | E: Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Patrick(PY23) (IP Logged)
Date: 10/06/2003 04:40PM

SOMEBODY WHO KNOW OR OWN AN ISLANDS 19?
WOULD EXCHANGE INFORMATIONS

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jason (IP Logged)
Date: 01/12/2004 08:41PM

Just bought one last spring and I love it. I've got very little info on it. Will be happy to exchange what i've got.

Jason

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Capitaine de corvette (capc) | E: Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Patrick(PY23) (IP Logged)
Date: 02/10/2004 12:49PM

Oh my god, it is a miracle! an other owner of Islands 19 !!!
Where are you?
How old it is?
Do you have the original rigging?
Happy to know you!
Sorry i take so much time to answer, but i was nearly desesperate! I try to reach others owners since march 2003!
I also bought mine last spring, and really like it too
Will be a pleasure to exchange
Patrick

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim Carlisle (IP Logged)
Date: 06/01/2004 09:44PM

Well, I receently acquired an Islands 17 boat. It rigs beautifully, except that the sails are old and the rudder is rebuilt, but not operable at present. Any ideas on where I could get an old rudder? How may of these are other there? Is Sumner still in business?

I'll let you know how it sails when I get the rudder to work. I'm on Lake Champlain which is still pretty chilly. JHC

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 19 (Opinion about this sail boat?) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Patridk (Islands 19) (IP Logged)
Date: 06/08/2004 11:15AM

Hello! I only know that Sumner is out of business. But las year, i found the company who buyed the molds. I try to refind this informations and come back.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim (Islands 17) (IP Logged)
Date: 06/08/2004 03:47PM

I have been unable to get the rudder to tilt/rotate. It is rebuilt and apparently was built incorrectly. I need to rebuild the wooden portion. Anyone have a used rudder from an old Islands 17?

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul Schneider (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2004 11:09AM

Hi Gentelmen...
After all these years I find another Islands 17 owner. I'm located in Mentor OH. and have owned mine for about 14 years. (it's a 1987) I tried starting a web site on these boats (www.islands17.com) and haven't found any other owners.
I've done several "go fast" tricks that seemed to work quite well that I'd be glad to share with others. Let me know of other 14, 17, & 19 owners out there and possibily get something going.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Boat maintenance) (Boat maintenance)
Date: 06/15/2004 11:34AM

Paul:

I am very interested in finding our how to go faster. I am really a windsurfer who is buying his first multi-sailor boat.

I have just bought my Islands 17 and it is yet to be launched. I have a big problem with the rudder. It appears to be rebuilt and the blade no longer tilts up. The wood portion of the rudder does not permit it, so I assume it was cut incorrectly. Also there are three bolts holding in the tiller so it neither tilts or allows the rudder to be removed without tools. Is that the same on yours? Any chance you could send me a digital photo of your rudder and I'll do the same to see if you have any ideas?

Otherwise, the sails are okay and the fittings and hull are exceptional for a boat so old. What is your serial number? Perhaps I can date my vintage.

Do you have any idea where the original factory was located on long island? I could try to track down some spare parts there...

Date: 06/15/2004 02:19PM

Hi Jim

Sounds like someone kinda rebuilt it wrong for sure!. I'll send you digital photos of mine and try to help you out as much as I can. Mine even has a small piece of line on it to raise and lower it & lock in place. The Islands models were originally built by Ocean Yachts in Long Island N.Y. Sometime in the 80's (1981?) the molds were bought by Sumner Boat Co. located in Amityville N.Y. (who also redesigned the interior & added floatation). How I here it is that around 1995, The factory caught fire and was destroyed including most of the tooling and some molds. I'll look at the VIN # on mine and get back w-you on it.
She's a very "forgiving" but fast boat. I know you'll like how nimble they are too. I just wish I could find more owners out there...I know they had to build more then two!!!!!

Thanks
Paul

Date: 06/15/2004 04:46PM

Jim,
I'm in Mentor Ohio....Along the shoreline of Lake Erie.
Another FYI. My VIN # is SBC41083I687. The SBC indicates "Sumner Boat Co." The "I" means "Islands" and the "083" would be the Hull #. The 687 indicates it was Mfg. in June of 1987 (Happy Birthday Boat). So if your Ser.# is preceded by "SBC" chances are that it's a 1979 or newer. Should it read something like "OYC" or "OY" it was most likely an original Mfg. by Ocean Yachts in Long Island. I'll try and get some pics for you this week and e-mail out to you. Also, I can Make you some copies of brochures I've collected over the years on the Islands 17 and send it out to you if your interested.

Take Care
Paul

Date: 06/22/2004 05:33PM

HELLO GUYS!

Happy to read your comments! I think we have a long crusade to do, if we want to reach others Islands 17 (or 19 or others) owners... Keep on everybody! Sourire  - smiling smiley
The idea to create a website is very interresting!

H.S.E. (Happy Sailing Everybody)

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Dana (IP Logged)
Date: 07/09/2004 11:47AM

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! This is the first REAL information I've come across on my boat! Don't give up on the website, we need one!
Dana

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Hess (IP Logged)
Date: 07/10/2004 04:31PM

Paul,

Since you have owned an Islands 17 for that many years, I think that qualifies you as grand master of this group. I don't even own one but am interested in them. I sailed both an Islands12 and an Islands 15 last summer at Penn State. I think they have a couple more of them also that they use for instruction and rental at a nearby lake. I tried to get more info on them last summer but found nothing other than that they were manufactured by Sumner out of Amityville, NY.

So it was somewhat exciting when I stumbled onto this user group. However, it appears that everyone who has posted here has found very little also. I am thinking about buying an Islands 15 which I found for sail in western PA, but am hesitant due to the lack of any kind of available information. I too am thinking that surely there has to be more than 2 or 3.

Can you give me anymore information on the boat such as, does it tend to leak at the centerboard, can you buy sails, how does it handle with 4 adults, and anything else that you might want to add. If I do buy the boat I will enjoy contributing to this group.

David Hess

Date: 07/10/2004 09:09PM

Well, I launched my Islands 17, named Sweet Caroline, and it floats, it sails, and it is dry inside. I rebuilt the rudder myself so that the blade tilts and the tiller is now easy to remove. I was impressed with how easy it was for two people to raise the mast and launch the boat. My only complaint so far is the motor mount: itsits so low when in the down position that the throttle arm of the outboard hits the rear deck. I tried tying it to the port stern cleat and steering witht he rudder, but that does not work so well. Otherwise, the tiller is in the way. Admittedly, I have never sailed a boat with an outboard, so this may just be my incompetence. So far, I love the boat.

Date: 07/12/2004 01:38PM

I got the same problem on my Islands 19. This year, i changed my bracket mounted short shaft Rude (15 inches) for a long shaft one (20 inches) clamped directly on the transom. I will give more information after trying it. I feel it wil be better, and that the prop will not be out of the water as often, and the motor head not under water as often it was!!! Sourire  - smiling smiley

Date: 07/14/2004 12:13PM

Hello Guy's,
I know, Iknow,
I owe a LOT of folks photo's and thank you for your patience.
Jim, Glad to here you got your's out and your rudder problems de-bugged. I hope She sailed to your expectations? The aux. motor mount I installed on mine is the "tilt" up and out style and it stay's quite clear of everything in the stern / rudder area. I believe it's made by Attwood Ind. (I'm using a 3.5 HP Merc)
As far as the Islands 15, Anything is possibile. Sails can be made or modified by a good Loft if need be. I picked up a few chutes and alike on E-bay with no problems. All you really need is the Luff, Leach and Head measurements,
Standing rigging could also be adapted as well. Regarding the centerboard trunk, I've never had one leak on any of my Islands, Helped other Sailors replace the sealing washers on other Boats but, thats it.
If any of you need information on your 15's or 17's Let me know and I'll make copy's of some lititure I have and send out. Also when I get this "website" up on line I'll post what I have in Adobe formats or something.
Have Fun!!!!!
Paul

Date: 07/14/2004 12:22PM

Hello again,

David....If the price is right, BUY IT!!!!!!
We need more "members?" in our little group.
Just look closely at the stem fitting to make sure it's not "soft" around there.
Some of the 15's were Balsa cored and if water wicked past the fastener holes it could have penetrated the core. But, the good side is anything is repaiable and it's not a hard fix at all.

Keep us posted
Paul

SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Date: 07/14/2004 09:56PM

I love my Islands17!

Took it out this evening for a sunset cruise with my two dogs: a chocolate lab and a dalamation. They stayed on the deck the whole time, looking around the sails and crossing over the centerboard when I tacked. I know this was a bit unsafe, but they can windsurf on a board with me and even surf by themselves, so I thought they'd like it. The boat is so easy to sail in a 7-10 knot breeze.

This was my second trip in the boat over four miles; yesterday I sailed across Lake Champlain to VT and back twice (with my 23 yr old daughter) in 10-14 knots. I must say that I have sailed Lasers and various other small boats (during a week in Bitter End Yacht Club) and this is by far the smoothest and nicest small boat I have sailed.

Enough of my early euphoria! Back to maintenance and tuning issues.

SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Trics, ideas and gadgets)
Date: 07/14/2004 10:17PM

Now, some equipment and tuning issues. Sorry for so many questions, but I am really new to owning a boat. This stuff was always someone else's problem.

What should I do with the tiller when I am motoring? I have tried tying the motor handle to the cleat (putting it ona towel so as not to scratch the rear deck of the boat (it sits lower when the tilt mount is in the down position) and steering with the rudder, but it only turns one way easily and barely in the other direction. Today, I tied the rudder into a straight position and steered with the outboard handle, but the vibration is very uncomfortable.

When I am sailing singlehanded and I need to adjust the jib, I need to let go of the tiller and the boat turns up into the wind quickly. How can I fix the rudder so I can move quickly around the boat?

Have any of you replaced the metal traveler bracket? I don't mind the short range, but it prevents tilting the tiller up when motoring. The "pulley" that slides across the bracket now hits the top of my tiller - which is probably die to the rudder being too tall or the brackets too low on the rudder. I need to cut off a 1/4 " from the top of the rudder - or replace the tiller or the pulley. I know the Tanzer 16 has a wooden traveler that goes almost all the way across the boat. Anyone install this on an Islands 17?

Water was streaming into my boat from the centerboard well through a small hole in the back of the well. I bought a small rubber plug in a marina, that seems to stop the water, but there is still some water coming in somewhere. Is this plug standard and what is its purpose?

Also, I have a "bailer" in the bottom of the boat, just behind the centerboard well by 6" and that does not seem to drain the boat even when planing. Anyone have one of those. I sealed it on the bottom before I launched the boat, but it could be leaking inside. How do you know how fast is enough to open that to drain water. By the way, water has never gotten more than an inch deep in the lowest part of the cabin, so this is not serious, just annoying.

When mooring the boat, does anyone use a cover? Sources? I am using the jib halyard to hold up the boom 4' so it is out of my way when motoring with the sail down. I also found a set of elastic tie downs for the sail. Is it good to put a canvas cover on it if I do not remove it from the boom?

I have not tried to get into the boat from the water yet. Is it easy? Is it good to have a ladder on board? Fortunately, I hav enot had to bring my dogs in fromt he water. They jumped in from the dinghy.

Thanks for your advice.

Re: SUMNER ISLANDS 17 (Trics, ideas and gadgets)
Date: 07/16/2004 11:29AM

Hello Folks....

Jim,
I'll try and answer all your questions as much as I can.
Tiller while motoring: It depends on the location of your outboard bracket. I have mine spaced enough so I just "lock" the motor in a straight position and steer with the Tiller/Rudder. Possibily, yours is mounted too close to the centerline of the Hull?

Weather Helm: (letting go of the Tiller and turning upwind) is a GOOD thing. That tells me your sail trim is good. If you get hit hard with a Gust or Puff She will head upwind and spill air, rather then capsize (messy). I've installed a Tiller extension on mine which allows me to adjust the Jib trim without letting go of the Tiller.

Traveler Bracket: Yes...I made a sweet assembly up for mine which allows me to Winward sheet, (Mainsail up past the centerline of the Boat). Again, soon as I take my cover off I'll post photo's of what it looks like. I think I have around $300.00 invested in track, blocks, car and line.

Small hole at rear of Centerboard trunk: If it's the one I'm thinking of, The line runs though it to Raise/Lower the centerboard. You should also have two "deckplates" on eaither side of the Centerboard trunk to inspect the Hull. The floor in mine is actually part if the Hull liner. Again, I have to post photo's,

Hull Bailer: Can't really help you out here. I've used them in my 15', from what I recall there a maintaince problem. The rubber seals dry out and do just what your explaining....Leak at any speed.

Mooring Cover: Yes.......I made a "Tent" style one out of Sunbrella material. I installed stainless snaps about every 10" along the Coaming, which rolls into your next question. I also installed I neat item called a "BoomKicker" it's a fiberglass rod type deal that one ends mounts to the bottom of the Mast ond the other end mounts just forward of the Mainsheet block, (almost like a fiberglass vang) and it works VERY well. Keeps the Boom up at a preset height and supports the weight of the Mainsail with no "strings" attached. And yes, If you leave your boat out in the Sun for any extended lenght of time it's a good idea to cover your Mainsail.

Ladder: I do keep a rope style ladder on board. as long as your Centerboard is extended it's not too bad of a climb back in. I tied mine off at the Mast base just for stability (and I don't rip anything out of the liner).

I hope this helps you out a little bit. If there's anything else I can be of help to, Just e-mail.

Fairwinds to all!
Paul

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Antilag, Capricorne, Dede_M25, Flagman101, Mario (Laser 28), Namor, Patrice, Sugata, Voiliergalwaybay, aquaterra, ceduluxe, claude calva, demetan-F29, doucejenny22, jcote75, jproy, lilicybel, maubeche, meo, skadi
+ Online Guests: 457
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.