Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Buying A Kelt ( ) (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Yvon Gregoire (IP Logged)
Date: 12/10/2004 12:08AM

Hi Maurice!

I really appreciate your comment. The kelt equipped with a diesel is a centerboard model. About the trailer, your right for the maintenance, I had one for my fishing boat last year. and only one year next to the salted water here and it was already rusted. Even though I rinsed it every time I used it.So I'll probably rent one ( unless it is more expensive than to buy a used one.The marina here is not equipped with a lift, I'm gonna need something on wheels anyway.

Re: Buying A Kelt ( ) (Comment or Suggestion) (Comment or Suggestion) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Date: 12/10/2004 08:53PM

Hello everybody!
Any idea of how many knots of true wind a kelt 7.6 could keep going upwind?

Re: Buying A Kelt ( ) (Comment or Suggestion) (Comment or Suggestion) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Date: 12/11/2004 09:08AM

Hi Travis!

How faster is it with the motor off the water?
You're talking about racing, did you race your kelt?
Is the handicap 210 phrf the right number, and if yes, is it with or without the spinnaker?
I remember back in 1983 I had a cc24 with an outboard on the transom, and the difference when I was pulling it out of the water was huge. When the motor is in the well, what about the weeds your carrying along?
I'm on my way to buy a kelt 7.6 and think I'll fix the motor on bracket on the transom.To bad, because the transom looks so good free of it.

Best winds!!

Re: Kelt 8.6 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michael (IP Logged)
Date: 01/14/2005 10:27PM

Thought I would join in as well. I have a 1985 8.6 with a Yanmar Diesel. The boat is fully instrumented and seems to be holding up rather well. I do have bilge pumps in the boat in the engine compartment and below the floor bds. Mostly in the floor to catch the ice metl for the ice box.
Tod date the only problem is it is starting to blister. The boat is in the water 12 months a year and only hauled for 1 week every 16 months for bottom painting. The baot is also located in the US in FL whee the lifting keel is very handy.

Mike

Re: Kelt 8.6 (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy travis (IP Logged)
Date: 02/07/2005 07:09PM

Hey Yvon

210 is the right number, with spinnaker 228 without. or 234 with the motor in the well! Well worth the 6 sec hit. My boat is 222 as I am carrying an oversized jib.
The boat is a good 1/2 knot faster in light air, I would say, although I have never measured it. However it was the biggest difference in racing I have made. I went to consistently last to in the top of the fleet, usually. Hope it helps ya

Re: Kelt 8.6 (Motor Replacement) ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Bakody (IP Logged)
Date: 02/20/2005 01:00PM

As I have no intention to remove my engine for from the well because that is primary reason I bought a Kelt 7.60 and as far as all this false stuff about drag, every inboard has it unless you want to pay big bucks for feathering props and they do have gear wear. I have investigated several new motors and only one fits the well the Yahama 8 & 9.9 and they are both excellant models in the high thrust series. The handle on the 8 hp is 19" long and the 9.9 is 17" but the 9.9 with remote controls that could be mounted on either side of the cockpit well would be good. The other makes and models are just too deep from the transom bracket to the end of the cover most are 18.5 -19" inches and 18" is the maximum clearance. Another motor is the new Mercury it will fit with a slight modification (round the corners at the back) i have done this on my old Honda BF 100 this allows an easy swing in tight quarters in my marina, most are truly amazed at the turns I make almost a right angle. Of course my Honda is good for several more years but the Yamaha 9.9 eledctric start looks sooooh good. One thing I was wondering would a 2 stroke with thru prop exhaust work good in the same configeration. One other reason the newer motors are deeper is the catches are now mounted on the back and not a leaver underneath like before....cheers David.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul & Sharon - Falcon's Nest (IP Logged)
Date: 03/07/2005 05:15PM

Hi David:
just re-read your comments of 7-15-04 as you joined the group.
You'd commented that you'd had some difficulty installing your depthsounder transducer.
I'll pass along what I've done.... I first checked that my transducer would shoot it's signal through the hull by placing it directly onto the hull, held in place with a puddle of vaseline. There cannot be any voids in the jelly, as it will create a bad reading. Once the transducer was mounted, pointing as near vertical as possible, I turned on the device and checked the reading with a known depth. It worked with my unit !! So I went ahead and permanently installed it using 3M 4200 instead of the vaseline petroleum jelly. It's worked fine.....no holes!!
By the way, it's installed in the shallow floor just inside the bulkhead at the vberth. I'd remembered to measure the distance from that point to the end of the keel after lift-out, so now I know that I have exactly 40" below my transducer before I'm aground.
Try it out...it may help not drilling another hole. Remember, it's important that the compound sealing the transducer not have any voids or it won't work.
Paul

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul Murphy (IP Logged)
Date: 07/10/2005 03:24PM

I'm looking at purchasing a Kelt 7.6 built in 1983. It has a motor well and is equipped with a Honda 10HP. motor. Your comments do not mention Honda. Do you know anything about that specific motor?
Thanks,

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy bob Leonard (IP Logged)
Date: 08/09/2005 07:45AM

Is there a Kelt owners club? If so could I jion please. I have a share in a Kelt 31 on the East Coast, an excellent yacht .

Date: 08/09/2005 07:52AM

I have a share in a Kelt 31 on the east coast, is this the same as yours? It just measures 31feet LOA. An excellent sailing yacht.

Date: 08/09/2005 08:14AM

Hi
I have a part share in Kelt 31 at Woolverstone on the East Coast. There is also a Kelt 8.7 based at Mistlley on the river Stour. If there is a Kelt owners Association I would like to join it.
Happy Sailing
Bob

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy David Bakody (IP Logged)
Date: 08/17/2005 11:09AM

Honda BF 100

Although the motor sales broucher may say it is 10 HP, the maintenence book specifications state it is 9.9 HP....so it does fall correctly into the less than 10 HP rule of law. To be more specific it is closer to 8 HP at the prop. I now have an 1985 eclectic start 9.9 Yamaha HS that works even better, the larger prop does produce more drag but it is minimal over power performance for this non racer. At my age if the wind is light and I have a schedule push the start button. The Honda is a good motor and does quite well providing good power and runs on air ! There is of course a build up of exhaust gas in the well some times but moving the cover seat forward will handle all that. I found than when coming alongside a slip the motor would stall ( Dirty air in the well at low power) so i just removed the seat and put it below...to easy. I read that one of the members has been in touch with a gentleman who build these wonderful boats way back when and stated he would have designed the cover with holes into it to solve the problem, to drill your own would look un-professional without a correct pattern. I had toyed with the idea of installing two S/S cowl vents or one hood scoop on the motor cowl. I plan to look into that idea even for my new motor some time with an e-mail to someone with professional knowlege. Cheers David.......PS. the Honda is good.....

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Simao (IP Logged)
Date: 10/11/2005 12:55PM

Hi everybody, I wonder if someone colud help me in getting the drawings from a Kelt 620 from 1983? I have just bought one but the previous owner did not have them

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michel Mertens (IP Logged)
Date: 10/19/2005 12:23PM

In response to David, my 1984 Kelt 7.6 has an in-well 2-stroke YAMAHA 15, whcih fits perfectly although it is a tad heavy (80lbs). But the added power, fuel economy and low noise level (since it gives me hull speed at 55% power), plus charging power, with the built-in alternator, are is well worth a little extra weight (which is in any case minimal as compared to the newer, 4-stroke, less powerful outboards).

Michel

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( )
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Michel Mertens (IP Logged)
Date: 10/19/2005 12:31PM

Salut Yvon,

J'ai un Kelt 7.6 sur le lac Huron où nous avons souvent du vent frais, jusqu'à 30 noeuds. Quand j'ai un bon équipier, je peux mener le bateau au près-près bon plein, avec un angle de gîte raisonnable, jusqu'à près de 30 noeuds établis avec deux ris dans la GV et un petit foc de route auquel j'ai fait ajouter une bande de ris d'environ 10 pouces de largeur. Bien sûr, la gîte et les vagues le font déraper un peu, mais je peux néanmoins faire une route-fond en gagnant sur le vent. Attention toutefois à garder la GV bien plate, déborder le chariot d'écoute en grand sous le vent et étarquer à fond le pataras. Cela mitige la gîte et le bateau n'est pas trop mouillé (j'ai quand même une -très utile - capote de rouf.

Amitiés

Michel

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Electronic/computer on board)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy peter poland (IP Logged)
Date: 04/18/2006 02:34PM

Hi

Does anyone out there have any experience of changing the keel hinging 'pin' on which the centreboard pivots on a Kelt 850?

Thanks

Peter

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Electronic/computer on board) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy PHILIP MITCHELL (IP Logged)
Date: 04/23/2006 05:00PM

HI I AM A PROUD OWNER OF A KELT 9.00 I SAIL IT IN DUBLIN BAY I AM A MEMBER OF HOWTH YACHT CLUB I RACE MY BOAT IN CLUB EVENTS I ALSO DO SOME CRUISING IS THEIR ANY ONE OUT THEIR WITH A SIMLAR BOAT SHE IS A 1982 MODEL AND IS A VERY FAST BOAT FOR HER VINTAGE

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Electronic/computer on board) (Various - Pot-Pourri)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Denise Miller (IP Logged)
Date: 05/23/2006 01:54PM

Hi, I just recently saw a Kelt 39 (11.5m) sailboat and have tried to find information on this boat via the web. I have been unable to locate any such boat. The only information is for a 29 footer. Does anyone have any information on the 39?
Any information would be greatly appreiciated.

Thank you,

Denise

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Electronic/computer on board) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy vince (IP Logged)
Date: 05/24/2006 06:05PM

hi guys
I own a kelt 8.5 bilge keel with all original sails and rig.
Does any one know my portsmouth handicap.

p.s. best boat ive ever owned.

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Various - Pot-Pourri) ( ) (Electronic/computer on board) (Various - Pot-Pourri) (Opinion about this sail boat?)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy tony boisvert (IP Logged)
Date: 06/15/2006 04:44PM

Hi ,

I own a Kelt 39, 1986. What kind of information are you looking for.

Tony

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Alain, Capricorne, Cormarin, Daniel L., Denis K850, Flagman101, Foxtail, Guillaume C., Jonathan, Michel-G26, SlowZen, Ventdusud, Yves JULIEN, ceduluxe, claude calva, denis gregoire, doucejenny22, jcote75, jumanji, lcoulombe, lionel cormier, meo, papajazz, pourvoyeur, seguinl
+ Online Guests: 548
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 742 on April 11, 2018 10:15PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.