Affordable Yachting

English Forum
Boat & Sailboat forum. Questions? comments? Need to know? Want to share? This is the place ! 
Bienvenue sur notre forum
Pour discuter avec les membres, vous devrez enregistrer un compte. C'est gratuit !
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Maurice (IP Logged)
Date: 05/23/2003 01:24AM

Does anyone knows of a KELT Owner Association, club, newsgroup, etc...
I'd like to hear from you - Thanks

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy claude (IP Logged)
Date: 09/29/2003 07:25PM

Maurice,

If you get anything,I am also interested in hearing about it..What size of Kelt do you own. Mine is a 7.6

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Claude Blanchard (IP Logged)
Date: 10/21/2003 11:43AM

Hi
I have a Kelt 9.00 m and would like to be part of this association
If you heard something, let me know
thanks
Claude

Date: 10/23/2003 05:38PM

I will, but don't keep your hopes too high, I don't think there is one in Canada. Maybe in Brittany (France) where the boats were build initially. I know I saw a lot of them when I was in the country a couple of years ago.

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Paul & Sharon (IP Logged)
Date: 11/20/2003 11:43PM

Hi Folks,
Thought I'd jump in on this topic, being a proud new owner of an '82 Kelt 7.60.
I've asked the same question, guys....there aren't too many Kelts out there, and much less info about them !!
I've been trying to find who is the keeper of the factory construction details for the Kelt, since they went out of business in the '80's....any comments ?? If the parent corporation is the Kelt Marine corp. in France, how does one contact them??

Paul & Sharon

Date: 11/22/2003 01:29AM

Of course, now that I need it, I can't put my hands on it. But a while back as I was researching the Kelt, I came accross the information that after they went bankrupt, a company acquire the mold of the 7.60 to be the base of a new line called "Elite". I've seen a a couple of the small 25-27" for sale on the water, and although I noticed the similarity, as didn't know at the time, they were our "kids" I ignored them.
You can't miss them when you see one because of the way they spell Elite with code flags on the side of the hull. Similarly to how they display a big 7.60 on both side of our hull.
I've seen advertising for Elite Marine in boating magazine but only for the kind of boats I can only have on my wish list.
As soon as I'll find the info I'll forward it to you. However don't keep your hopes too high though, as that info clearly pointed out that the mold was salvaged from the state of neglect it was left in a back alley in Aurora, Ontario! Meaning someone got the mold cheap, but I doubt they've got the factory specs.

Date: 11/23/2003 11:25AM

Thanks for the info, Maurice...I'll keep my eyes open for an 'Elite'.
I'm looking for factory specs, as I'm about to continue with some interior mods and wanted to know some construction details before I start drilling holes, etc..
Do you know if the deck has a core construction ?? I do know from adding extra through-hulls on the bottom that it's solid fibreglass only down there. I've also made holes on the vertical surface of the cockpit bulkhead.....adding instruments...that it's solid fibreglass there also.
thanks for any info you can provide....

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Bob (IP Logged)
Date: 12/04/2003 05:36PM

So there are other Kelt owners on this side of the Atlantic!

I also have an '82 Kelt 7.6. I haven't found anyone around here(Cleveland,OH).

I believe the deck is cored, but with a man-made material. If I can find it, I will look around, I have a brochure,

Let's all keep in touch

Bob G

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Sails and Furlers)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 01/26/2004 04:50PM

Hi All., I have a 7.6 Kelt 1982 with 9.9 four-stroke Yam.To service this (in well )motor it means taking prop off to pull motor (what a pain). Ideas?
I had my 150 gen cut for a furling system this year with lines to cockpit.My problem is trying to shorten the sail puts a lot of tension on line even with nose to the wind.I need sort of block with cam or something I can attach to the toe rail.
Regards Jim
Comox B.C.

Date: 01/26/2004 11:28PM

Hi Paul and Sharon, would love to hear from you on any modifications you have made to your Kelt.I am replacing the std Signet self powered knotmeter with a horizon powered replacement and adding a matching depth sounder. It seems to be a real issue with surveyers and insurance companies the type and location of the bilge pumps,yet there is no real bilge to install the pump into.What type and location is the pump on your boat?I think a manual handle in the cockpit and a pump mount under the cockpit may be OK. Regards Jim

Date: 01/28/2004 02:37AM

I guess I was lucky the previous owner never installed any equipment on my boat. Not even a compass (he used a hand bearing compass). So after Installing a bulkhead mount Saturn Aqua Meter compass, I decided I would only make holes in that boat if there was no other alternative. So when I looked for a depth sounder I came accross the LOWRANCE X-25 that I installed inside the boat on a swivel bracket, so I can read it from the cockpit. What I like best about it, is that it's only one instrument that gives me reading on the depth, speed. log and water temp. It gives me a visual chart of the bottom (shows the type of bottom and if the bottom is coming up or not) all this in one display with LARGE digital numbers. It also has a fish ID feature that helps locate the depth the fish are. I particularly appreciate having it inside the boat when I anchor out and want to check on the tide or making sure the anchor is not dragging (especially during stormy night). It comes with depth alarms (shallow and deep) but I stopped using them after one too many false alarm and woke everyone up in the middle of the night. That what happens when I set the range too thight!

The bilge pump issue! I don't have one. Never had, don't even have a manual pump. Like you said, there is no bilge to install a pump into. My boat has been through four survey (3 for insurance purpose) and the issue was never a problem. I don't know what I would do with one, as I have regularly every year removed the floor boards to check the keel bolts and keep finding dust, crumbs and sand completely dry. Do you have water seeping into your boat? Any idea where it might be coming from? The way the hull is built, there isn't really any area where the water could accumulate enough to make it worth installing a bilge pump. The way I see it, I'll have to hit a rock or get another boat to hit mine to take on water and, if this ever happens, I don't think I'll have the time and the energy to pump the water out faster than it is coming in. It will be work enough just to get a MAYDAY call out and jump in the zodiac.
Is this a new issue with surveyers and insurance company?

Date: 01/28/2004 03:54AM

Now that's interesting! This means that the leg of your Yamaha 9.9 is always in the water. What kind of bottom paint did you apply on the leg to avoid marine grow? Aren't you afraid the water intake filter will clog up with marine grow and overheat your engine? And how do you ever flush it out with fresh water after running the engine? I've learned the hard way that this is the kind of detail one better pays attention to or sooner or later you ends up in trouble when one least expect it.
When I had to replace the Honda 100 that came with the boat, I first bought a Honda 15HP (in 1994 they didn't have a 9.9) to find that, like you the prop couldn't go through the opening, so I was faced with two options: 1) enlarge the opening or 2) exchange the 15HP for a 8HP (four stroke). So I did exchange the engine. Only later on did I thought I could have as a third option installed an outboard bracket outside the boat - isn't that the answer to your question.

I'm not sure I understand the question about the "shortening" of the sail, I'm assuming you meant when you try to reduce the sail by reefing it in partially, the sail put a lot of tension on... which line? The jib sheet or the furling line? Did you do your own installation?
Assuming it's the furling line that gives you trouble I would definitely look at how the line has been spooled on the drum. That's most likely where the trouble lies. Sure you could add a Harken Hexaratchet block (019) to the toerail (I did, and I suggest you do - back in the cockpit) as it makes it easier to control the furling line, but it will only do you good if the line operates freely before you added the block.
When I discussed the installation of my furling system, the Harken rep. Told me also not to overlook the lead blocks that guide the furling line back to the cockpit, and told me that a poor design and/or install maybe conducive to line friction that are hard to pull. So here it is, this might be another area worth checking. Good luck.

P.S. Remember to let me know about the kind of paint you use on your outboard leg and how happy you are with it.

Date: 01/28/2004 01:45PM

Hi Maurice,thanks for the info.For insurance in B.C. my boat must have at least one manual bilge pump with enough hose to have water exit boat.I agree, if things get that bad and you`re by yourself ?I think I will add the suggested block to the toe rail,I have a Harken Furling System and adding the 019 would make things easier.Yes my motor sits in the water year round,but I`m on the water almost year round, although Jan. and early Feb. can be nasty.Constant scrubbing down through the well and over the stern I`ve been lucky so far.Motor is hauled twice a year for service.However,we got in a storm last Sept. 10-12ft rollers and what should have been an hour off our mark for the night was 2.5 of rock and roll.The prop stayed in the water because of the location in the well and I believed saved the day. Happy Sailing Jim

Date: 01/30/2004 01:00PM

Jim:
It's good to hear from another Kelt owner....we have an '82 ourselves, with a Honda 10. This outboard has a three blade prop with an 11inch diameter. I've pulled it on several occasions without a problem. Yes, it's a tight fit, and if I recall, the bottom end does need to be twisted diagonally as you're drawing it out of the well so the prop clears. The motor is left in neutral so the prop can rotate as you pull it clear of the hull.
As far as the furler system goes, we don't use one, so can't help you out. I'd recommend you see your local sailmaker for advice on that.....ours is a wealth of information and as novice sailors we've learned alot from him.

Paul and Sharon
'Falcon's Nest'
Port Dover Harbour Marina
Lake Erie - Long Point Bay

Date: 02/03/2004 12:46AM

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but I knew I had the exact answer somewhere, it was just a question of locating it. This is what the documentation that was delivered with the boat when it was purchased new (1982) said about the deck:
" The deck features innovative construction techniques far ahead of the competition. All traffic areas are reinforced with high density aircraft grade urethane foam sandwich. When this material is combined with the hand laid fiberglass mat and roving, an exceptionally strong yet lightweight deck is the result. In addition, all deck fittings have inlaid 9/16 inch mahogany plywood backing plates to spread the load and withstand compression.
Because all components of the boat are hand laid, you are assured of the highest ratio of glass to resin guaranteeing great strength in the boat structure. All material is cut to precise patterns eliminating waste and excess weight. Transverse reinforcing is applied in the keel area to give additional strentgh and support. Hull thickness varies from six to thirty-four layers of fiberglass. That gives a thickness of about 1 inch of solid mat and roving in the keel area."

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Sails and Furlers) (Boat maintenance)
Date: 02/03/2004 10:03AM

Thanks for the info....we appreciate you typing that all in !!
I'm planning on some projects, so it's good to know what to expect when I get out my drill. Someone had mentioned the hull was cored with a synthetic, but I wasn't sure to what extent.....as the literature says...only on heavily travelled topsides areas. I've already drilled various locations and hadn't come across any cored material, just solid fibreglass....now I know where to expect coring. Thanks, again.

Paul & Sharon

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 03/05/2004 07:24PM

Hello All

I am in the process of purchasing a '82 Kelt 7.6 without a motor (dead!!!) I have toyed with the idea of mounting a transom bracket so I can fit the engine when it's not in use...Has anyone done this?

Also, would this mean I would have a place to chill a bottle of wine where the motor use to be... Je m'endords - yawning smiley)

Thanks
Mike
Toronto.

Date: 03/05/2004 08:30PM

Alright, so the motor is dead! I'm assuming you are talking about an inboard - diesel type engine, otherwhise if it was an outboard, you'd just replace the dead outboard with a new one that fit in the same engine opening, in the cockipt, just in front of the rudder, and you're ready to go.
Or maybe you are thinking of getting an outboard (as your main engine) and not use the engine well and instead install a transom bracket from which to operate the engine and make it easier to lift the outboard in and out of the water?
I did install a fixed transom bracket, on my Kelt 7.60, to store my kicker - a Yamaha 4Hp - which I thought was too heavy (39 lbs) to be stored on the cockpit's railling, and I used a 3/4 inch thick marine wood as big (24" x 24") as I could fit inside to reinforce the stern of the boat.
It's been two years now - it's OK, but I doubt it would take more weight, without having to do a professional installation. The bracket is just high enough to clear the engine's leg from the water, and low enough to make it easier to get the kicker on the zodiac, even when I'm alone.
As for keeping the main outboard (Honda 8 HP) out of the water well, when the boat is not in use, I pull the engine out of the well and clamp it on a 2" x 4" x 6' stud with each end resting on the port & starboard cockpit seat and the outboard leg resting on the well build in outboard bracket. So I don't have to worry about having to clean the leg and the water intake filter after the engine have sit still for a long time in the water.
That's all it takes to keep in shape!

Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Mike (IP Logged)
Date: 03/06/2004 08:28AM

Hi Maurice

Thanks.... The current "dead" engine" I'm told is the original..Honda 7.5 outboard ..I'm thinking about mounting a transom bracket so I dont have to listen to the motor "vibrate" (for lack of a better word) when I'm in sail mode.. and to have the ability to keep the new motor out of the water..I read at [sailquest.com] that some Kelt may of had a transom as original equipment at some time. and think it may be worth my time to do it now with the new motor........

Thanks again
Mike

Re: Kelt Owner Association (Comment or Suggestion) (Boat maintenance)
Posted by: F : Moussaillon - E : Ship's Boy Eurico (IP Logged)
Date: 03/27/2004 05:05AM

Hi all,

I have a Kelt 760 (hull number 559) and am in Portugal. My Kelt is equiped with an inboard Yanmar 1GM10E engine (8HP) and I came to the point where I have to change the propeller. I feel that the previous propeller was not the indicated for the engine power and torque.

Does anyone have a Kelt equiped with this engine that may help me with the information about the correct propeller?

Another important aspect to me is: I had a furler from Cruising Design Inc. (reefer 4 & 6) which broke last summer. I have contacted them but it seems that the model is not manufactured anymore and they do not know of any other furler on the market that is compatible with the tuff luff on the boat. Does anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks to all. Regards,

Eurico

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

This forum is possible because of the generous contributions of our Members and Clients. Check out their service and goods.

Thanks for your support!

Our Members
Standard Members
Support Members
Corporate Members

Their Services
Boat For Sale
Small Craft

Boat Rental
Charters & Sailing Courses
Flotillas and charter
Charter Club
Blue Water Crossing

Nautical Flee Market
Various

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum. Log in, it's free!
Online Users (Administrator)
Flagman101, Pierre B39, denis4, jproy
+ Online Guests: 427
Record Number of Registered Users online at the same time: 147 on June 13, 2011 10:02PM
Record Number of Guests online at the same time: 678 on May 16, 2014 02:01PM

You like our Forums? Help us improve our service.
Make a donation to Affordable Yachting. Cliquer ici pour faire un don.

Stay well informed of our activities, register to our electronic news letter. It's free! Click Here. 

Affordable Yachting is offering you these forums free of charge with the sole purpose of promoting positive exchange between sailors. All the messages published on these forums are the sole responsibility of the author. Affordable Yachting and the members of is executive decline all responsibilities about the content and the nature of any messages published by the authors.

If you feel that a message is abusive, defamatory or in any manners aggressive to you, please inform us so we can take the appropriate actions. Clic on the following link Report This Message in the options bellow the message.

This forum powered by Phorum.